Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First new amp in a long time. What should I get? (I have sample tracks of my style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First new amp in a long time. What should I get? (I have sample tracks of my style)

At our last show the inevitable happened... my Line 6 spider II at dust hard. (please refrain from both line 6 and spider bashing... I know i know. I got this amp in highschool and it taught me to play guitar, I have come a long way since then). I had become very accustomed to the versatility of the spider II (if one is lax on tone, and I was).

I can replicate my effects situations with a boss GT series... but I have no idea what to do for an amp. Mesa double and triple rectifiers seem like an obvious solution to the gain settings I have come to like... and the Egnator renegade seems like just the amp for me for my clean channel settings.

I am very very very new to the world of tube amplifiers and Guitar Center pisses me off every time I go in there. What amps should I look at?

Here is what I play (demo tracks here Nadia Pero.com). I recommend listing to Safarex, Camel Heat, Atlas and Balsamic Galbadia for a pretty good range of what we play, but please hear them all out as those tracks are nowhere near comprehensive. These demos were recorded with the spider II.

Please help!!! I don't know what to do! (my budget is about 1,500 and I would really like to include a Boss GT-10 in that amount if possible, but I don't want to cut to many corners).

Is there a better place I can post this?

Comment

Possibly the Gear Page. You will probably get more replies than you want.

I have had less than stellar experiences with GC as well. If they are your only option, try going when they are really slow.

If you were happy with the Spider II, why not just pick up another one used or get yours fixed so you have no urgency to spend your hard earned money until you have had time to do your homework. No reason to blow your dough until you are certain.

Comment

... is the page called "gear". Which page are you referring to?

Comment

The Gear Page is an entirely different site, nothing to do with this one.
          TGP Webzine

This forum is for amp builders, engineers and techs, TGP is more just for players and gear weenies.

I listened to a few of those tracks, gave my magic 8-ball a shake, and it said "Buy another Line6"
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

hahah, thank you man. I'll check out the gear page. I have been thinking about the line 9 spider valve mkii, but that makes me feel dirty. I want to go tube... and it seems like a half tube...

Comment

Well, the tones you were getting from the old one suited the style of music just fine. (Not really my thing, I did all my moshing to Metallica and Soundgarden in the 90s, and they played Mesa all the way.)

The old Spider Valve Mk1 got some good reviews. One thing people remarked on is that it had Celestion Vintage 30 speakers in it. These are famous guitar speakers, also used in many Mesa amps. Combined with the tube power amp, those make it sound a good bit more tubey than the solid-state Line6s. The Mk2 has them too.

This is JM2C and I've never tried one personally.

You probably owe it to yourself to go to a guitar store and try a Dual Rectifier, though.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Would you have anything bad to say about a peavy jsx?

Comment

Working...
                X