Blackstar Artisan 15 - warmer tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, to put an end to this thread:
    Finally I have changed nothing except the speaker which I had done before.
    My settings that I find usable (guitar plugged directly into amp) :
    channel I, low input at mid volume for fender amp style tones, ch. II, high input at full volume 15W and a marshall powerbrake to reduce the volume a little. In this way the sound is warmer and not so bad, mainly my drummer likes it. It could be a little more creamy to my taste.

Bernd

Comment

Hi Guys,
      I'm new here. I arrived here looking for an answer about the type of biasing in the Artisan 15. I have read everything I could Google up and got four answers. The problem is that they are all different. This is without a doubt the most knoweldgable group so far, so, Is the A-15 cathode biased, fixed or adjustable?
      Thanks for being here, and my tech will love the schematic.
      BTW, I replaced the tubes with new production Tung-sol Gold pins in the pre amp and new production mullards in the power section and it lost some of the bright edge that it had when I bought it. I had a cabinet made for it and loaded it with a G12H30 and a Blue Alnico.
      The thing sounds amazing, warm rich and creamy.

Comment

Answer it yourself.
        With amp on, no signal, what DC voltage do you read on power tube cathodes?
        And on grids?
        If grids negative, cathodes grounded: fixed bias.
        If grids grounded and cathode positive: cathode bias.
        We expect voltages consistent with tube types; we are talking on the order of 20V, not millivolts.
        Hope it helps.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

My Apologies,
          I must have wandered into the wrong place here. I have zero background in electronics. I can replace my tubes, fuses, and speakers, but once the chassis is open, I'm lost.
          I was just hoping someone would be kind enough tell me what kind of biasing this amp uses so I would know weather or not I need to take it to a tech everytime I replace the tubes.
          Thanks

Comment

Its cathode biased. You can replace the valves yourself but check them to ensure they are not red plating or screens glowing

Comment

Thank You much for the help. I like swapping tubes to find different timbres, tone and responses and have had no problems, but I read on a tube store site that rebiasing was required for this amp and started worring a bit. I do recall reading somewhere, while looking at this amp, that it's cathode biased. I feel much better now. I 'd hate to do any damage to this gem.

Comment

EL 84 types - Finally I got further

Some time has passed now and I got a little further. I want to share this:

In order to obtain a warmer tone with this amp I started to use it only at full volume and put a powerbrake at the end to reduce the volume. What I didn't like was that the amp was still too touch sensitive, the tone didn't feel good in the fingers.
                On my search for a solution I started to look for other types of the EL 84 power tubes: the amp came with Electro Harmonix which give the amp a lot of headroom. My decision for a trial went to JJ's EL 844 which are said to be a low powered version of the EL 84.
                And it did give a change: the powertubes seem to be an important part to influence the tone of this amp. The amp sounds a little dirtier now, when being cranked they produce a lot of crunchy highs, a nice singing tone and they give the compression that I was looking for. The tone feels good now in the fingers, the only thing is that the tone is a little thin now.
                Maybe someone has other suggestions for EL 84 types with low headroom but a fat tone. I saw that there are not so many on the market.

Bernd

Comment

No definit tried and approved solutions so-far, ii own one and want full rich tone.

A proper compressor/limiter fixes the agressive bite.

Options left to explore now.
                  Switching the speaker helps, any ideas apart from the canabis rex?
                  Switching the bright caps /switchable is something definitly worth exploring, i''ll give guitarmike2107 idea a go together with my friend (he's the electrotech)
                  10n for C6 and C24. from the new plots you can see that those caps affect the low mid roll off point.

Comment

Working...
                  X