Amp buzz / rattle / hiss on certain notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp buzz / rattle / hiss on certain notes

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe combo that rattles every time I play an E note and a few other notes nearby. The E's are the worst. 7th fret A string or its octave on the G or D string as well. The rattle sounds like a hiss - like something loose and quickly vibrating every time I hit those particular notes - regardless of which guitar I'm using. The tubes seem to be seated firmly and it doesn't sound like a speaker issue. Any ideas? Help much appreciated. I'd love to DIY this one and avoid yet another costly visit to the amp doctor. Thanks in advance.

Try another speaker.
    This will eliminate any cabinet issues.
    If it is a cab problem, try to isolate where the noise is issuing from.
    I have seen loose screws on these amps.
    Also the indicator lamp btacket can shift allowing the lamp to rattle on the jewel lense.

Comment

Mechanically rattley (microphonic) tubes can cause this as well. Common issue in combos.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Snap. have you found the problem yet. I know one guy here said try a different speaker lol yer right, the hole point of spending good money on an amp is so U can use the speaker it comes with. I have the same problem on the D string at the 15th fret, only the 15th fret which seems very odd

Comment

Originally posted by Dezzy View Post
          I know one guy here said try a different speaker lol yer right, the hole point of spending good money on an amp is so U can use the speaker it comes with.
          The idea here isn't to replace your speaker; it's to use a different speaker that's known to be good as a troubleshooting aid to help diagnose the problem. If the objectionable noise is still present when you play the amp through an external speaker, then you know that the speaker isn't the problem.
          -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Working...
          X