Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey KB100 and KB/A The differences between years and models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey KB100 and KB/A The differences between years and models?

Just bought a KB100. Looks like the serial number plate indicates this was circa 1988. It has no XLR input on channel 1 Well, that's not the end of the world since it's pretty easy to just use an XLR to 1/4" cable. There seems to be a number of variants on this amp but the Peavey site only archived one manual. Specs are pretty sketchy. I did notice that this model has an indicator light (LED? were they even invented back then ) for "Compression". I'm assuming that this lights up when the compression circuit is active. The DDT compression as I understand it (probably don't) kicks in to prevent clipping. So, if it lights you're overdriving the input/channel gain. Seems like a useful feature. Don't know why they'd remove it from newer models. The difference between the KB and the KB/A also seem mysterious. As far as I can tell there is an input boost/gain button on the KB/A but the KB (which years hard to tell) had better specs with regard to wattage at equivalent % THD?

Manual says foot switch operates (yes/no) the reverb. When we test drove it (my son is the musician, I'm the gear schlep) it seemed like the reverb wasn't working (i.e. no effect). Do you need the foot switch to "close" the circuit and activate the reverb?

For my next thread, I also recently aquired a 1991 vintage TKO-80. Man did they make a bunch of way different amps with that model number. Some have 12" speakers and some have 15". I think I'm lucky here in that mine has the 15" Black Widow. Since the KB100 doesn't say anything (and it's not mentioned in the owners manual) I'm assuming it's a Sheffield?

Peavey typically has the reverb always on, switched off.
    The KB-60 schematic ( I do not have the KB-100) shows an open jack ahead of the reverb potentiometer. Grounding the tip will turn off the reverb.

Comment

That makes sense. I guess the reverb circuit is just dead on mine. Maybe something shorted acting like a foot switch. I did try closing the circuit and it made no difference. Time to look inside

Comment

The first item that I would check is the reverb tank & its wires.
        There is a transducer (coil) on the input & the output.
        Cotinuity of the coils & wires must be verified.
        I have attached the KB-60.
        I do not know how close it is to the KB-100.
        Peavey should be able to offer the correct schematic.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          The first item that I would check is the reverb tank & its wires.
          There is a transducer (coil) on the input & the output.
          Cotinuity of the coils & wires must be verified.
          I have attached the KB-60.
          I do not know how close it is to the KB-100.
          Peavey should be able to offer the correct schematic.

May be this schematic will be suitable.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X