Voice of Music 8810 catastrophe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voice of Music 8810 catastrophe

A short while ago I got a little VOM 8810 amp head; the tube complement is 6x4, 6v6 and 12ax7. It worked, but had too much gain for harp. So I decided to make the circuit a little bit more like a Fender Champ. I replaced the 220K and 150K plate resistors on the preamps to 100K; I replaced the 1K cathode resistor on the first half of the 12ax7 with a 1.5K ( the 2nd half already had 1.5K). I also replaced the 300 ohm cathode resistor on the 6v6 to a 470 ohm, and the 10 mfd bypass cap with a 22 mfd. When I started to enlarge the hole for the strain relief, the torque of the drill threw the amp 6 feet across the room! After cussing for about 5 minutes, I picked up the amp, checked all the solder joints, and finished installing the 3 prong cord. I put the tubes back in, plugged the amp into the variac, and brought the voltage up slowly. I got nothing; no sound, no hum, no buzz and no smoke. The tubes didn't even light up. What could have been damaged by the little mishap?

Little mishap!
    6 feet across the room!
    It is amazing how much torque you can get fron a drill.
    Anyway.
    Did you test the amp, after all of those mods, but before the torque demonstration?
    If not, then you should check over your work.
    After that, treat it as a new repair.
    Remove all the tubes.
    Go across the power cord L! & L2 & check for transformer continuity when the switch is turned on.
    That will check a lot right there. The switch, the cord, the fuse, the primary connections.
    Next, go across the B+ to chassis ground.
    Always looking for shorts or low resistance.
    Check the output transformer windings.
    At this point, with the power supply drained, I would poke around looking for ground connections that must be.
    If all is well, it " the power supply should come up.
    Check all the main power points.
    B+
    The heaters.
    If all is good, start putting in tubes.
    Start with the preamp. Verify plate, cathode & heater voltages.
    Send a signal to the output tube grid.
    If everything looks good, load up the output.
    Attach the speaker or dummy load.
    Check the idle conditions of the output.
    Send it a signal.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply. Are L1 & L2 the black and white wires of the 3 prong chord? I scorched the treble pot/on-off switch checking voltages before my original post, so I'm thinking of Muntzing down the circuit to a 5f1 and just putting an on/off toggle there. Before immolating that pot, I got a reading of around 0.3 volts on pin 1 and pin 6 of the 12ax7, and 0 on pin 3 of the 6v6. What does that mean?

Comment

Originally posted by bluzmn View Post
        Thanks for your quick reply. Are L1 & L2 the black and white wires of the 3 prong chord? I scorched the treble pot/on-off switch checking voltages before my original post, so I'm thinking of Muntzing down the circuit to a 5f1 and just putting an on/off toggle there. Before immolating that pot, I got a reading of around 0.3 volts on pin 1 and pin 6 of the 12ax7, and 0 on pin 3 of the 6v6. What does that mean?
        Yes, L1 & L2 are the mains conductors. Black/ White.
        No voltage on 12AX7 pin 1 & 6 points to a failed dropping resistor.
        The plates of the output tubes run at full B+ voltage (minus the output transformer winding drop).
        The preamp tubes will have a dropping resistor (2K?) coming off of the B+.

Comment

Did you have the chassis in a vice or clamped to your bench? It's idiotic to drill holes in metal if the piece isn't secured. You could have injured yourself.

- Scott

Comment

Working...
          X