Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found! Special coil winder that exactly replicates hand scatter wound PAFs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found! Special coil winder that exactly replicates hand scatter wound PAFs!

Well... I didn't find it but apparently this seller of pickups on Ebay did.

"Hi, You are bidding on a set of 2 Tucker Guitars Pineapple Sticker PAF Pickups. The Pickups have been hand wound just like the original Gibson 50/60s PAF Pickups on a special coil winder that exactly replecates the hand skatter wound process that made these pickups famous for the tone that is full of bell like responses."

I need to get me one of those winders, so I can have pickups with tone that is full of bell like responses... and the like.

Tucker Guitars Hand Wound Pineapple Sticker PAF Pickups - eBay (item 320641471701 end time Jan-13-11 12:21:15 PST)

But he goes on: (he shouldn't have)
    The Bridge pickup measures 9.2 ohms and the Neck is 7.7 ohms. A nice combination. Each PAF have coils that have differencs in ohm output, creating the miss balance of the original PAF.

Comment

Too bad Gibson never hand wound production humbuckers. Seth may have hand wound some prototypes, but he knew that the coils had to match to buck hum. What bullshit this whole "hand wound" PAF thing is...

Comment

Do you ever get the sense that George Carlin, were he alive, and had he known about it, would have included "exactly replicates hand-wound scatter" with "military intelligence", "jumbo shrimp", and "tight slacks"?

How is it that something which was intrinsically an outcome of a nonrepeatable set of events could be replicated with fidelity? My head hurts thinking about it.

Comment

At least he isn't trying to sell it for an obscene price. Who was that guy that was selling p-100s for $800 or something?

He's winding with formvar, too! Definitely was Seth was using.

Whatever you do, don't go to his website.

Comment

That website is for a business out of Hawaii, the pickups on eBay are some guy out of Portland (OR).

Funny you don't see any of that verbiage about the pickups on the website.

Another thing about the guy (on eBay) is he has the pickups listed as "New" and they are obviously pulls from a guitar.
            -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Turner View Post
              Too bad Gibson never hand wound production humbuckers. Seth may have hand wound some prototypes, but he knew that the coils had to match to buck hum. What bullshit this whole "hand wound" PAF thing is...
              Finally we agree!

Actually I think it is now pretty well accepted by the masses that they were never hand wound. But when I started making that point a few years ago it could get ugly fast on some forums.
              They don't make them like they used to... We do.
              www.throbak.com
              Vintage PAF Pickups Website

Comment

Pfiff! Title says it all,lol...Man they don't stop.

Comment

I wonder ,How many hand wound humbuckers are wound trying to replicate machine wound ?
                  "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

This thread reminds me of a Steven Wright joke.

The other day somebody stole everything in my apartment and replaced it with an exact replica... When my roommate came home I said, "Roommate, someone stole everything in our apartment and replaced it with an exact replica." He looked at me and said, "Do I know you?"
                    "Det var helt Texas" is written Nowegian meaning "that's totally Texas." When spoken, it means "that's crazy."

Comment

I put an original PAF in a microwave....and went back in time!

Originally posted by salvarsan View Post
                      This thread reminds me of a Steven Wright joke.
                      www.zexcoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by ScottA View Post
                        I put an original PAF in a microwave....and went back in time!
                        No man, must be tripp'in, everyone knows you have to put your PAF into a Delorean to go back in time!
                        -Brad

ClassicAmplification.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedHouse View Post
                          No man, must be tripp'in, everyone knows you have to put your PAF into a Delorean to go back in time!
                          You also need 7.2 jigawatts through a flux capacitor, or something like that.
                          Bill Megela

Electric City Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                            You also need 7.2 jigawatts through a flux capacitor, or something like that.
                            Don't forget that the answer is 42, and never, ever forget to take your handtowel with ya!
                            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                            Milano, Italy

Comment

Thank you Mr. Dent.

Comment

Working...
                              X