Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some basic questions?

Hello!

I've recently winded my first pickupīs, I bought a Stewmac humbucker kit and a single coil kit. I used the instructions that comes with the kit, it mentoined that you can "machine wind" or "scatter wind" the pickup. what effects will the 2 types of technique have on the sound? is it a bad idea to mix both techniques on a coil?
    The single coil that wound was a little "thin" in the sound, any suggestions to get the sound "fatter"? ( I "machine winded" the pickup with 8000 turns of wire, 42 awg and potted it in wax for 10 mins)

Thanks!
    /Thomas

Originally posted by Tompa View Post
    Hello!

I've recently winded my first pickupīs, I bought a Stewmac humbucker kit and a single coil kit. I used the instructions that comes with the kit, it mentoined that you can "machine wind" or "scatter wind" the pickup. what effects will the 2 types of technique have on the sound? is it a bad idea to mix both techniques on a coil?
    The single coil that wound was a little "thin" in the sound, any suggestions to get the sound "fatter"? ( I "machine winded" the pickup with 8000 turns of wire, 42 awg and potted it in wax for 10 mins)

Thanks!
    /Thomas
    There are no short cuts. It's all mainly a trial and error thing.
    What I like, may not appeal to you.
    You have to wind and test, wind and test, and wind some more.
    When I say test, I mean mount in the guitar, and give a sound test.
    Document what you do, and that way when you find what you like, you may be able to repeat the process, with proper documentation.
    The scatter is the same way, you need to experiment to get the sound you like.
    If you want more wire on a bobbin it requires less scatter.
    10 to 15 minutes, in the wax pot should be enough. 140-150 degrees.
    Just keep experimenting, sounds like your on your way.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Working...
    X