No announcement yet.

New 5F4 build-transformers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltages will drop down when the tubes are installed. The voltages you see on schematics are only valid when all tubes are installed and the standby switch is in the play mode.
    WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
    REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Thanks loud, you have been a big help!
      John

I need more practice, not more gear.

Comment

Before you test this amp with all the tubes installed... (nobody can really help with voltages unless the tubes are all installed).... make sure you set the level of your negative bias voltage (you said it would be adjustable), to the deepest negative voltage the pot will allow.
        I know this is an old thread but that "unloaded" 400vdc mentioned previously with no tubes is going to end up being pretty low for this amp unless there is a wiring error, test error or there is something I missed.
        You still might be buying a new power transformer and the Weber 798 is good enough for this project.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Thanks Bruce. It's an old thread that I revived after setting the amp aside for a few months to work on some other projects. I'll make sure to test as you described. If a new transformer is needed, I'll know what to get.
          John

Comment

After rewiring the grids, I put tubes in the amp and fired her up. No smoke, no smell... and no sound. I'm going to run back through the solder joints, re-check the wiring, swap tubes, and then print a voltage chart. A quick check revealed very high voltage on the plates of the preamp tubes.
            Last edited by Travst; 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM.
            John

Comment

To put a period on this project, I did some checking and couldn't spot the problem. Fortunately, I have a great tech in town and dropped it by his shop. Sam (Samamp) spotted the grounding error quickly and brought the amp to life. He also worked out a better grounding scheme and the Super is dead quiet.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I learned a great deal in the course of the project and your assistance was invaluable!
              John

Comment

Travst - Can you share the grounding scheme for your Super ? One Star or Multiple Star ?

Comment

Originally posted by harojs View Post
                  Travst - Can you share the grounding scheme for your Super ? One Star or Multiple Star ?
                  I'll get a pic when I get back from hunting.
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X