Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3 Standby and Ground Wiring

Greetings.

I purchased a 5E3 kit with high-quality parts, but poor instructions. Perhaps someone could clear up a few issues that I'm not quite sure about:

1. Standby Switch - After looking at a few different options, I have decided (per my kit's instructions) to lift the red/yellow PT center tap as my standby switch. Are there any concerns with this method?

2. Board Grounds - My instructions call for running the 4 top-of-the-board grounds to a lug on a PT bolt. I've seen other builds ground these to a plate (which I don't have) behind the pots, or to a rail from the backs of the pots to the input jacks, or to a lug mounted to the right-hand end of the chassis.

Is there any problem with running these grounds back to the PT lug? I already have the PT center tap and 100 ohm filament 'grounds' tied to the top right PT bolt.

As a lurker, I've already benfitted greatly from the Ampage 5E3 Builders forum. I'm posting here becuase this forum seemed easier to navigate, and because I noticed that the renowned Bruce Collins had already been here.

I would appreciate any assistance that you tweed gurus can offer.

Cheers,

Wagabone

Since I did not have a brass plate, and did not want to solder a rail across the back of my beautiful pots, I combined these elements.

I made a rail out of 12 gauge solid wire and installed it between the pots and chassis. Hopefully this will provide the same grounding properties as the other methods. I will post pictures if anyone is interested.

Comments?

Cheers,

Wagabone
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X