can someone recommend a tape...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone recommend a tape...

Looking for good adhesive tape for insulating the connections between magnet wires and hookup wires for humbuckers. Regular elec. tape seems too bulky, not sticky enough, etc...

What's the good stuff for this application?

Not all electrical tape is created equal. The cheap stuff is thicker and not as sticky. Good electrical tape is still kinda bulky but at least it sticks well. I've taken apart a few Seymour duncan that just used regular ol' scotch tape. It's a lot less bulky, but I am yet so find any that is actually sticky enough. Perhaps parcel tape???

Comment

Would 1/8" heat shrink tubing be useable for this, or would it be too bulky? I have some that shrinks until it's closed, and it's pretty thin. I think it's polyolefin IIRC..
      Sometimes I'm good, then I'm bad..
      http://www.evacuatedelectronics.com

Comment

I used shrink tube for a while. It works well until you have to do 4-conductor, then it gets kind of tight for space. I just use the same tape I use for the finish wrap on the pickup.
        www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Good stuff

I'm using a tape from Loadstone pacific. It's thin and a bit strechy and plenty sticky. It's called Pen Film tape Part # 1pen2. I use the 1/4" and the 1/8" .
          Loadstone Pacific
          4769 Wesley drive
          Anaheim, ca 92807
          714-970-0900

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. The scotch tape looking stuff on the Duncans had me scratching my head as well. I picked up some 3m (super 33?) that I think will work, and I also had an idea that 3m #77 contact adhesive in conjunction to very thin rubber could be good. Inner tubes made for racing bikes is super thin, and may work well.

Comment

Working...
            X