Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic user's poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic user's poll

Hi. I purchased a Mesa Boogie TransAtlantic TA-15 amp back in November 2010 and I can honestly say that I love practically everything about it.

There is something that is puzzling me though, so I decided to get a consensus on whether or not it's an issue.

The one thing that immediately caught my attention when I first started using this amp has to do with the power settings. As expected, when switching from the 5 watt setting to the 15 watt setting there is a definite increase in loudness but, when I switch from 15 watts to 25 watts the increase is almost imperceptible. If I close my eyes real tight, there does seem to be a slight change in character and (maybe) an increase in headroom, but nothing I'd consider substantial.

My question is this: Have any other TA-15 owners experienced this?

This concerned me when I originally started using the amp, so much so that I even went back to the place I bought it (Guitar Center) to see if their display model did the same thing. I put the two amps side by side and they both seem to react similarly.

The store's salesperson didn't really to know anything. I also called a Mesa Boogie service tech (yes, the same guy in my other post here) who seemed caught off guard by the question. I even suggested some possible theories to him, like "the higher setting has a little more headroom?". He just seemed to be agreeing with me at this point and I was left still wondering.

That said, I still love this amp and am extremely satisfied with its awesome tone.

Anyway, I am very interested in hearing from any TA-15 user's who can confirm or deny my observations. Thanks!

15 to 25 watts is only about 2.2 decibels increase. (Assuming the Mesa actually changes by 10 watts) I wouldnt expect to hear a big increase in volume.
    "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    - Yogi Berra

Comment

It depends how the power scaling works. Maybe it just increases the headroom without increasing the gain. In which case, if you weren't overdriving the power tubes in the 15 watt setting, then changing to 25W won't increase the volume. But if you then turn up the volume yourself, you might notice that the amp will go louder while staying clean, than it would if it was set to 15W.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Yes. I've played my TA at band practice with the volume(s) maxed out, and on the 25w setting, there is more transient headroom. The 15w setting sounds and feels more compressed in comparison.

Comment

Working...
        X