Router Bit Longevity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

Use good quality carbide bits, stay clear of cheap chinese bits they are crap and wear out in no time. I use bits from trend which really last a long time http://www.trend-uk.com/en/DE/produc...uter_bits.html The speed depends on the cutter diameter small diameter = high speed large diameter = slower speed.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Comment

Making the cut you are doing in one or two passes is hogging out a LOT of wood in one shot.

To keep your bit running cool and sharp, I would be taking passes of no more than 1/8" at a clip.

Amana make some solid carbide spiral bits that have a very aggressive cutter profile that will allow making the cut in three passes 1/4" at a shot easily enough.

Expect to pay a pretty penny for such a bit though as these tend to run in the $50-$60 range for the modestly sized bits.

You get what you pay for though, and you may just find you will be saving money and definitely the headache by going with a commercial duty bit like these.

I use Amana a lot for my guitar building work and cut a lot of hard and silica loaded woods with great success.
      e=mc2+/-3dB

Comment

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
        Callaham advises that cryo treatment extends cutting tool life!
        Callaham Vintage Guitars and Parts (Cryogenics / Pickups)
        It does. I've had saw blades, planer blades, router bits and more cryo-treated, and the difference in performance and longevity is amazing. You get the treatment done, then get it professionally sharpened and use it forever.

that being said, I'd advise the OP to get some good carbide bits and make multiple passes. It sounds like he's trying to hog out the whole thing in one or two passes, and that'll definitely burn a bit up. I cut baffle holes exactly the same way (router with a circle jig), and I've been using the same 3/4" bit for years with no issues. I'll make 3 passes on a 1/2" board, though. I also always hook my shop vac up to the router, to clear the route and keep air moving across the bit.

Comment

Working...
        X