Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West fillmore -- rarity -- thoughts

Hello-
    Back before amp prices went through the roof, I traded a raw frame Utah with a Fender label for this 100lbs amp. Black Tolex. About Ampeg SVT sized.
    Silver label across the front. WEST FILLMORE printed on front. 4x6550 and simple simple circuit (Fender like tone stack). TRANNIES ARE HUGE!!!
    I believe they are Dynaco and I have heard that the same trannies were used in one of the Dynaco tube amps (IIRC when I was in it last, I noticed ultralinear taps on the OT that were not used).

Anyone have a schematic?
    Anyone know if these things are worth anything?
    Nice fat clean headroom for miles.

Thanks

West amps are as rare as hen's teeth. I know that there used to be a site with some information and catalog photos. With all of the interest in Dynaco stuff, there should be photos out there of original Dynaco transformers to compare to.

I'm sure that there are collectors for them, as there seem to be collectors for everything imaginable.

Wasn't this the Grand Funk choice of hearing destruction?

Comment

GFR used West

Yes. I believe Grand Funk did use West amps. Have not seen a lot on ebay. In fact, this is the only Fillmore I have ever seen (did see an Avalon once)

Comment

Schematics available straight from the source.

West Laboratories Guitar Amplifiers

West labs is still a player in the amp parts business, very poplar for their Matchless-spec transformers. Fillmore (and the rest of the amps) schematics are right there under "Schematics" in the left menu bar.

Comment

What a basic amp

What a simple circuit.
          Still. Not too shabby for clean power.

Any idea if this was marketed as a Bass amp or a Guitar amp?

Comment

Built locally here in Lansing, MI, in collaboration with the wood shop at a local music store.

It was marketed as "loud."
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Ok. Here are some shots of my Fillmore. I have owned it for about 18 years. Traded a 12" Utah speaker for it (think the cone was even ripped, but the guy needed it to complete a cab). I have the cabinet but it is in rough shape. Someone had replaced the paddle on/off switch with a Switchcraft switch and added a standby. At one point, I believe the 6550 screen resistors overheated, but it was repaired in the late 90s and is a loud mutha! I currenty don't even have a speaker cabinet that will safely handle the watts!
              As far as value, there was just an ebay auction for a super clean (like, SUPER CLEAN), Fillmore that was complete and had the correct grillcloth and back board. It got 1 bid at it's starting price $1,899.00!!!! Granted, it was collector quality. This one is a 71, but unfortunately, the tape on the tranny ripped and so the best I can do is XX-18-1971 so I do not know if it is an early one or a late one. Based on the serial number, I suspect it is early, as I have seen one on ebay with a F-2331 number, and this on is more than 100 units earlier. I think Dave W. emailed me a few years back that he thought that only about 300 of the Fillmores were produced. I would bet he started with a number like F-2000 or F-2100 because certainly, there were not 2331 of these things made, right??

Last edited by timrichter9; 01-25-2011, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Hre in Mi, West amps are fairly common and don't seem to have much collector value. I've had a few come thru here and they *can* be great sounding amps for the right application. They're pretty much Sunn knock offs. They sound great for bass. But, beware. I have seen shit quality pwr and stby switches used. In a Grande (named after the Grande Ballroom in Detroit) they used open frame telephone style switches for pwr and stby. These are *not* rated for that type of use and are always burned beyond saving. My advise: replace them with Carling toggles even if they are working as of now.

I've also seen 3 pos "tele" style switches used as spkr impedance switches (see above pix). Again, this is a no-no as its a signal level switch.

If you can find one for cheap, consider it a "project" amp and plan on some reworking.
                The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

West approached my store for a franchise around '71. GFR were endorsers, which was a nice hook. We were looking for an Acoustic Control competitor, which was locked up by another store nearby. We took a couple and had some local bands try them on gigs, which was not successful. Every time one went out, it came back blown. We cut bait with them before getting in any deeper. They sure were big, and frickin' LOUD!

Comment

West Fillmore Cab?

this thread probably ended long time ago, but maybe you guys can still help me out.
                    Did the west fillmore came with a matching cab back then? can't find anything so far.
                    thanx A,

Originally posted by Gtr_tech View Post
                    Hre in Mi, West amps are fairly common and don't seem to have much collector value. I've had a few come thru here and they *can* be great sounding amps for the right application. They're pretty much Sunn knock offs. They sound great for bass. But, beware. I have seen shit quality pwr and stby switches used. In a Grande (named after the Grande Ballroom in Detroit) they used open frame telephone style switches for pwr and stby. These are *not* rated for that type of use and are always burned beyond saving. My advise: replace them with Carling toggles even if they are working as of now.

I've also seen 3 pos "tele" style switches used as spkr impedance switches (see above pix). Again, this is a no-no as its a signal level switch.

If you can find one for cheap, consider it a "project" amp and plan on some reworking.

Comment

Not much to find. I don't know that they "came with them", but West did make speaker cabs. 4x12 cab stuffed with EV SRO 12s.
                      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I have schematics for those if you're in need, agaath.
                        --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by gui_tarzan View Post
                          I have schematics for those if you're in need, agaath.
                          I would like copies of the schematics for the West amps...ifn you still have them.

Thanks!

Mike

Comment

Have a look here:
                            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t38734/#post374993
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Wow! You don't even really need a schematic for those!?! Same amp (normal channel BF Fender) at 50/100/200 watts. Seems like a smart idea for the time. Apparently not smart enough to make "West" a common name in guitar amps though.
                              "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                              You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                              X