Mid Control For Fender E-Series?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Control For Fender E-Series?

Has anyone been successful at adding a mid control to the tone stack or somewhere else in the preamp of a Fender E-Series type amp? I'm referring to the tweed 5E5A, 5E7, etc. Thanks.
    Daver

Daver,

Assuming you don't want to use an inductor (as I would do), the 5E7 circuit looks like it might be a good candidate for a T-filter. The 10M feedback resistor around the 2nd tube could be split into two 4.7M's, with a cap/pot to ground from their junction (this would be mid boost-only).

Oh, yes - my answer to your question is "no, not me".

Ray

Comment

Ray,
      Well, I'm not against using an inductor. Something simple has its charm, too. What about a T-filter following the tone stack? I've seen fixed versions in some Gibson amps and an adjustable Mid control version in the Matchless Chieftain. The E-series is mid rich as it is, so boosting it only doesn't appeal to me much. I appreciate the interest and help!
      Dave

Comment

Dave,

I guess I made another assumption too - that you're not looking for garden variety Fender-tone-stack mid control performance - otherwise you could just throw in a 6G16 stack and be done with it.

Assuming that maybe 6-8dB (at a guess) of fairly wideband mid cut would be acceptable, you could bypass the 56K feedback resistor with an LRC network; my wild-ass guess would be 27K/1H/.33uF, something like that. I've found it pretty difficult to source affordable, reasonably-sized shielded/toroidal inductors above 1H, so in this mostly high-impedance circuit you'll be limited in available frequency range and/or cut bandwidth; of course, if you re-ranged all the NFB-related components the situation could be quite different.

If I was limited to a single mid control, I'd personally rather have a 400Hz-centered one with non-ideal bandpass characteristics than a 2kHz one with my "ideal" BP, but YMMV.

Ray

Comment

Working...
        X