Bare 5E3 cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bare 5E3 cabinet?

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of a company or an individual that would make and sell a bare 5E3 cabinet? No covering, no grill cloth, no handle, no feet... just a bare pine cab with birch for the baffles.

I have though about making one, but I'm weighing the option of having someone build me one using finger or dovetail joints. The only thing holding me back is the tools needed to do a one off cab.

I'm looking for a bare cab because I would like to cover one with 2x2 twill carbon fiber cloth. I'm undecided on grill cloth color. Possibly a fender silver, orange, gun metal grey, or cream color.

For those interested, I found a few sources.

An individual here on the forum. We're still talking pricing.

http://www.mathercab.com/ Waiting on a quote.

and an ebay seller, here. Here is the kit I'm looking at.
    Last edited by tboy; 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM. Reason: fixed link

Comment

You could also ask for a quote from Mojotone.com
      They have an extensive cabinet shop.

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Comment

Quote from Mather Amp Cabinets came in.

I will be happy to give you a price for a bare 5E3 cabinet. Price will be $175 plus shipping (need your zip code for a shipping quote). That price includes a bare solid pine dovetail jointed cabinet, Baltic birch ply baffle board (no grill cloth) and back panels, chassis holes drilled and speaker mounting hardware.

Comment

I noticed this last night on the 'Bay, 1x12 pine empty speaker cabinet for tweed 5e3 chassis - eBay (item 300519732478 end time Feb-26-11 07:48:52 PST)

Comment

Thanks, Bill!

Comment

U can try here as well: Miyako Designs | Custom Guitar Amp Cabinets

Carbonfiber covering can be awesome. Getting the epoxy even may be a challenge tho. Kevlar is another interesting option if you want a little dampening of resonances. Kevlar is a beitch to cut tho so may be more difficult around the corners.
                I did a composite cab once using 1/4" birch ply and kevlar in 3 layers each. The thin sheets allowed me to bend the sides of the cab. Hard to see, but heres a small picture of the combo. It did not turn out well b/c the tall and deep shape made it very boomy. I am pretty shure it's the shape that's to blame and not the composite. It is light and very stiff and strong tho.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys! I have come to the decision to just make my own cabinet. Lumber is pretty cheap and I have plenty of time on my hands. I always aced my wood shop classes, so why not?

So here we go. Bought the lumber, pine and birch ply for the baffle boards. I'm hand cutting the dovetail joints, which is working out okay. I think it'll look good in the end. I built a few car audio sub cabs before and covering the cabs was what I was always best at.

Comment

Working...
                  X