Pick-up mounting rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick-up mounting rings

Need some suggestions here. I recently acquired Ventura ES- 175 copy that I'm restoring. My problem is that the P-90 replacemant pick-ups I puchased are too small for the existing mounting rings that came with the guitar, (one is broke). And of course the p-90 mounting rings are too small. I was thinking of buying 3 ply pickguard material and laminating it to the original rings and then cut them to accomadate the p90's. The pick-up's are square (humbucker style) and the guitar body is archtop, so trying to find an exact replacement has been difficult to say the least. Any suggestions?

Mike O

The easy thing would have been to get replacement humbuckers, so you are goin to have to do some work.

Real P-90's don't use mounting rings. The ES-175's that had P-90's used the "dog ear" P-90's.

You can get some dog ear P-90 covers and mount them that way.

Here you can see an ES-175 with P-90's and the two kinds of covers.
    Attached Files
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

or just get the humbucking-sized Seymour Duncan Phat Kats.....

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
        or just get the humbucking-sized Seymour Duncan Phat Kats.....
        That's an excellent idea also. GFS also make them I think. I didn't think of this because he said he already bought the pickups.

Back in the 70's people were replacing their P-90's with humbuckers... now it's the other way around!
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I mentioned it on the off-chance he could return the pickups he has....funny how the pendulum swings, eh?

Comment

Mounting Rings

Would you guys happen to know the dimension of the "Dog Ear Pick-ups"? If that would solve the problem I would have no problem returning them.

Mike O

Comment

Working...
            X