trem with adjusting bias design for cathode-bias output tube idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trem with adjusting bias design for cathode-bias output tube idea

(I posted this in the build your amp BB but haven't got any responses to it there yet - possibly because its buried in the other thread so here goes)

I am trying to brainstorm a way of getting trem to work in a cathode-biased output stage where the trem wiggles the output tube grid. I had problem previously where I implemented a grid-wiggle trem in this circuit (based on the Gibson GA17RVT trem) and it caused sparks to fly from the 6V6 socket and the 6V6 got reallllly hot. When I disconnected the trem the problem went away, so...

I came up with this idea the other day and essentially it would use a dual-ganged pot to simultaneously increase the trem depth and increase a negatively-biased trem wiggle mid-point voltage, in such a way that the trem only acts to make the 6V6 grid more negative w.r.t. the cathode when it wiggles - to tend to drive the output tube into cut-off in order to get the trem effect). The attached schematic shows the concept, with the particular area of interest highlighted in blue. The light grey line indicates the ganged-pot wiper.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comment about the feasibility of this concept please? (Or even any better idea for getting the trem to work benignly?).

TIA
    Attached Files
    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo
Working...
X