Multivox Premier 120

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multivox Premier 120

Among his collection of amps, a client of mine has a Multivox Premier 120 that was refurbished a while back by another tech. Unlike the schematic that pops up if you google the model, this one has a 6SC7 and two 6SL7s instead of three 12AX7s. Full complement is 6SC7, 2 x 6SL7, 12AT7 (tremolo), 2 x 6V6, 5Y3GT.

It still had its original speaker, a 12" with what looks like a one inch voice coil (4 Ohm) made by the Best speaker company, EIA code 371. The owner was told by the tech that the amp would never sound good with that speaker in it, so the owner put in a generic Pyle ceramic magnet speaker. To my ear, it sounds, well... generic. The 12AT7 had gone microphonic, which was why I was asked to look at it.

The old speaker, which I assume is original to the amp, is in good condition (though the basket produces a bell-like ring if you tap it). I've tended to lean towards the position that, if you want a > 50 year old amp like this, you probably want it for its vintage sound, an important part of which would be the original speaker.

Opinions? Were Best speakers well-regarded at all? Would something like a Jensen P12R be a more appropriate sub? I'm guessing that the amp was supposed to see a 4 Ohm load, but I can't be sure since it looks to me like no schematic is known to exist.

David
Working...
X