Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kg View Post
    where the hell are the tubes?
    They're in the one I built before that. No PCB!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1298755614_30_FT109016_kt88_heaven1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	820752
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1422.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	820751
    (You can see my PTP work isn't exactly tidy either )
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• The mojo surely is in how that power diode(?) is placed at an odd angle
      And the scatter winding on the coil.
      My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
        Sure! Although strictly speaking this is a two-off since it's a hi-fi amp.
        ha. well how about this...all you guys make and fix those...

I'll do the resistor changes on that picture that teemuk posted...

everyone's happy?

until I turn my pizza oven into a reflow oven. then it's on.

I'm not an engineer and haven't been doing this as long as you guys for sure. I actually hate wiring but love firing up amps. i'm thinking about outsourcing.

Comment

• Originally posted by diagrammatiks View Post
          I actually hate wiring but love firing up amps.
          Agreed. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just design on paper and then flip a switch? Wiring filament supplies is going to be my job in hell, I just know it.
          "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
          You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
            Wiring filament supplies is going to be my job in hell, I just know it.
            I just bought the Morgan Jones book and discovered I had been doing it wrong! According to Jones, the method I used guarantees maximum hum induction into the preamp tubes.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
              I just bought the Morgan Jones book and discovered I had been doing it wrong! According to Jones, the method I used guarantees maximum hum induction into the preamp tubes.
              what method is that? do you hook the heater wires to the grid pins?

Comment

• Yeh, I'll bite. What the correct "Jones" way to wire heaters???
                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

• I think Morgan and Merlin both have similar methods. So does Aiken. I've actually tried them all.

I've run the slo dual heater rails with solid core on the last few builds and well...good enough and saves me sanity.

Comment

• I'm struggling to explain it without posting the diagram from the Jones book!

Basically the method shown in this picture is wrong, because the outward and return wires encircle the preamp tube base, and in the resulting loop there is an AC magnetic field. Jones recommends running both wires past the same side of the base, and running a spur across the middle.

I'm not convinced it makes a difference- the tube amps I've built this way don't have hum problems.

Comment

• I'm not convinced it makes a difference- the tube amps I've built this way don't have hum problems.
                      Neither am I. I run straight wire (SLO style), and hum is non existent.
                      -Mike

Comment

• ahh, i use bjt regulated dc because i am lazy.

Comment

Working...
                        X