Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 Volume Mod Question

Hello,

I am sure this has been discussed plenty, but....

I want to take away the interactive volume controls in a 5e3 circuit. I drew up a little diagram and want to see if it is correct before i go through with it.

is this right or do you have some suggestions?

thanks much all,
    david

I always prefer to use schematics when discussing circuits, not wiring diagrams, which can be confusing or leave out valuable information. But, yeah, that looks like it would work. Why not try drawing it up in schematic form? It's a much better way to discuss it amongst other techs.

Comment

I found out this is actually the right way.

as far as schematics go....they generally confuse the hell out of me as I am not a tech. I went to art school with a degree in drawing and painting, I connect so much more gracefully to visual communication ie. layouts. I am trying to figure out schematics though and am getting much better.

Comment

You will still have some interactivity, all tweeds that share a common tone control/stack are known for it.

As you have drawn it, your normal channel will have no tone control, only the instrument/bright channel will have a tone control.

The way I would wire it is to leave the 500pf going to the RH tone pot tab but connect the other end to the bright vol RH tab.

Now take the wire feeding the middle tab of the tone pot, disconnect one end from the bright vol RH tab & connect this to the junction of the 220K resistors (or 270K as used on the tweed amps).

Both channels benefit from the hi cut pot, and the instrument channel gets the 500pf bright cap.

Having said all that, I think the stock wiring gives great tonal variation.

Comment

I have an arts background myself, I know where you're coming from. If it makes any sense, you might try to visualize the schematic electronic symbols as you do the layout symbols. Those are just connected by lines signifying wires or pcb traces. Once you understand them schematics make comprehending a circuit far easier. Trying to understand a circuit from following a payout diagram is very difficult. You'll get more help from guys on boards like this if you can supply a schematic for them to review.

On your drawing above, note that only the one channel will have a Tone control. If you used a double pot you could have a Tone control for the other channel as well, though they aren't independent, so where you set the control sets the effect for both channels. That may or may not be appealing to you, but I thought I would offer it up.

Another option would be to not use a standard Tone control at all but instead use a Vox style post phase inverter "Cut" control, which would also effect both channels.

Hope that helps,
          Hasse

Comment

Working...
          X