Fender Bandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Bandmaster

How difficult is it to convert the OT on a 1968 Bandmaster for an 8 ohm load? I have a Showman 1x15" (tone-ring) that I would like to use this head with. Are there any major differences in output power between versions AC568 through AB763? Is this a 50W head?

I worked on a 1966 AB763 Bandmaster last year. It is rated at 40W. However, I measured 45W unclipped output when hooked up to my oscillopscope and a dummy load if I remember correctly.

Comment

Are there multiple taps on the OT secondary so you can use this design with an 8 ohm load? It looks like its a 4 ohm output stock and I want to use the amp with an 8 ohm driver.

Comment

Originally posted by gbono View Post
        Are there multiple taps on the OT secondary so you can use this design with an 8 ohm load? It looks like its a 4 ohm output stock and I want to use the amp with an 8 ohm driver.
        Not on a stock Bandmaster. But you could replace it with one that does if you dont mind having a modified amp. Keep the original of course. David Allen (Allen amps) has two that would work nice - the TO35MT and an upgraded version - TO40MT.

http://www.allenamps.com/parts.php#transformers
        "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
        - Yogi Berra

Comment

Two 8 ohm drivers is usually better than one.

Comment

Thanks JoeM

Comment

No problem. I bet that Bandmaster with the upgraded Allen TO40mt through the Showman's 15 would be a big fat sound. What speaker do you have in the cabinet?
              "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
              - Yogi Berra

Comment

Well it's become a test mule so we have the following drivers available now: JBL E or K140, Altec 421, & Eminence proto Neo. I'm going to put a "regular" baffle on it and measure it to see what the tone ring does to the response of the cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                X