Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help: Traynor YCV20WR v. Fender Pro JR & ME/EQ box or [something else]...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help: Traynor YCV20WR v. Fender Pro JR & ME/EQ box or [something else]...

The facts:
    I'm new to electric guitars, new to tube amps, and an intermediate (at best) player (currently acoustic), but very ambitious as I take the next step. Broad musical interests, but if I had to describe my ideal sound, it would be Peter Buck/Rickenbacker/AC30... however that combo is clearly not an appropriate entry point. My decision will be what is the ideal setup for a more balanced approach that gives me a better range of sounds.

I want a quality tube amp that *can* compete with drums, gigging probably not an issue, but still an outside possibility (options are good)

Headphones will be a regular part of home practice.

What I'm pretty sure of:
    I'm buying an Epiphone LP 1959 (looks like the best option for someone that will not be investing in a Gibson... this model comes with gibson burstbuckers already installed, and I'm getting a good price)

Fender Pro Jr gets great reviews, but if I get this then I think(?) getting a multi-effects box/eq controls, etc, will be important to give some flexibility (given no controls on ProJr and my broad interests). I know many might frown on the ME involvement, but it looks like a reasonable way to dabble, at least until I really find my preferred space.

Traynor YCV20 has been highlighted by many as a standout in the "practice amp that can be loud enough..." category, and this appears to be one of the very few that have decent controls and a headphone output included. (a used option I'm considering also has upgraded jj tubes and a cannabis rex speaker)

So that's it. I've lined up some good new and used options (price varies, obviously, but it's all close enough that I won't include it for consideration) and think either direction should be a reasonable choice, but wanted to hear some thoughts from those a little more experienced. Anything else I should consider? All my knowledge is based on second hand info so I welcome your advice.

Thanks in advance.

I think you are looking for a gigging amp in the future.I would def go with a 40 watt tube amp. The Fender pro jr isn't quite there, although it runs 2 el84's. It's cranked up too hot, and a decent clean sound is out of the question. Believe me, i've tried every mod possible (Bill M). It runs not as hot, but the tamed sound is still more like a souped up tweed. You could go Fender Blackface . The new ones are too expensive and the cheap ones unreliable, imo.I've recently purchased a Traynor ' dark horse'. 15 watt, 2 6V6.(356 euro) I do play that in a trio without drums. Traynor is making a bigger version of that, that runs 2 6L6s.Remember, 6l6 for big roomy Fender sound, EL34s for the Marshall mid bite or EL84Vox for the chimey rock (they do make a AC15).I do owe a Fender Vibroverb 63 ri (40 watt)for a band situation. In your case, i would look for a cheap reliable 40 watt amp, possibly second hand, like a Peavey Bandit, a Sessionette 75, Musicman.You'd be looking around 200-300 $. Go for something you can carry. Vox ac 30s and Fender Twins are heavy! LPs concerned, i would save up for a Gibson Studio 50's or 60's reissue (with p90's). They went for around 800$ a few years ago. They are great! I played a few Epi LPs and they left me cold (sorry). If you're going for a Peter Buck sound, and don't want the Rick, how about an old reliable Telecaster? Does not have to be a Fender. A Squier will do nicely.

Comment

Best answer... Go to any close music store that specializes in used gear. Play through a bunch of stuff. Buy something that makes you smile.

A headphone adaptor is a pretty easy thing to build if you choose a more vintage style amp.
      "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
      You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
      X