Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring my dimmer switch to my coil winder

Hi folks-

I just got a Light dimmer switch from my local hardware store for my sewing machine winder, but I have a question about wiring it up. The dimmer module is a single pole, which I believe should be the right one for the job. From what I've read, I need to keep the neutral wire together and then place the dimmer between the two ends of the hot wire. The trick is, my old sewing machine motor's plug is non-polarized. Does this mean that it doesn't matter which one I use, or that I need to do something different? Please help! I am an electrical noob and I don't know what to do, but I don't want to shock myself or burn down my building!! just fyi, I bout a "lutron" slide dimmer module on recommendation of some of the folks from a different thread.

You are correct about the switch placement. Keep the white (neutral) wires together. The motor is not polarized so it will not matter which is which.

Not sure about what your switch looks like but typically if the switch has a black and a red wire, the black is incoming power and red will go to the load. If it's just two blacks it won't matter unless somewhere on the switch case where the wires exit it states "line" or "load".
    Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Might was well get a three prong cord and ground the metal parts of your winder while you are wiring in the dimmer to the black lead. Perhaps Magnut knows a reason not to do that?

Comment

I would agree with adding a three prong cord to your setup. It is always a good idea to ground metal parts. Grounding is the most important part of safety regarding electrical circuits.

For you I would use a three prong cord to supply power. Ground your control box. Instead of wiring the dimmer straight to the motor, wire it to a receptacle on your motor board. Then you can just plug your motor in and not fiddle with connections. The motor does not have a three prong cord but that's okay, and it won't matter how you plug it into the receptacle. Right now you could plug it into a wall socket and it would run one direction no matter which way you plugged it in.
        Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Thats a good idea grounding it. Right now, the motor is not directly in line with the plug. Power goes to a two socket non polarized box, which is directly connected to thd pedal. So, the motor plugs and unplugs from that box with its own separate cord. Right now, i have it ungrounded, with the dimmer module between the power plug and the socket box, so it is placed before where the motor is plugged in and basically the first thing the electricity will hit. That way, i can use the on/off switch or just unplug the motor.

Comment

Working...
          X