Kalamazoo Model 1 has developed some hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalamazoo Model 1 has developed some hum

My kalamazoo model 1 had been working flawlessly after I had changed out the filter caps, with no hum whatsoever for about 2 years. One day I turned it on and was met with a loud hum and no guitar signal reaching the speaker. This has stumped me for awhile now and I had put it on the back burner as I had other amps to work on with easier fixes.

As I pulled it out the other day and did a chopstick test on it, I found that the 12ax7 tab on pin 3 had broken off (amazing how much tension this was under for all those years....I could barely stretch it back in place).

So I replaced the tube socket and fired it back up but it's still not working right. Now I can hear the guitar through the speaker and with the volume on 3 the hum isn't too bad. The baffling thing is that the hum increases if I turn the volume knob up or down. At a higher volume setting it starts making this loud oscillating type hum. This seems like a grounding issue maybe but I just can't find it. Any ideas on what to look for?

Are pots & jacks nice & tight to the chassis? Preamp filter cap ground good? Please list dc voltages for 12AX7 & EL84.

Comment

I'm sure you tried swapping in different tubes, right?

Comment

I found it! When I was testing out the filter caps to make sure they didn't die on me, I had them hooked back up incorrectly. Re-soldered them (luckily I had an old pic as a reference) and it's back to sounding great!

Comment

Great! Contgrats.

Comment

Working...
          X