X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying a Traynor YCV40...

Looking at a Traynor YCV40.
    http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...aynorYCV40.gif
    vectorized form - schematic starts at Page 8.
    http://www.traynoramps.com/downloads...an/smycv40.pdf

I was thinking about modding mine a bit, just for kicks.
    The first tube stage kinda looks like a Vox, in terms of how it's boosting the amp.
    What if we changed...
    R4 to 68K
    R3 to 2.7K
    C1 to 680nF

So it looked more like a Marshall?

According to the service manual, the two difference that make the YCV40 and YCV50 take different tubes are R78 and R106. I might try that mod, and try EL34s.

What other mods could be made? I'm mostly looking for a thicker drive, and less noise.

The YCV40 (6L6's) uses the same power transformer and PCB wiring for the output tubes as the YCV50 (EL34's). So it has enough filament current capability to run a pair of EL34's and is the output tube bases are wired correctly. (Actually, I think they both use the same PCB.) All you need to do to run the EL34s is change the bias. Suddenly you'll have a distortion channel you can use (instead of mush) and still have a nice "chimey" clean channel. I've changed a couple of these by just paralleling the bias resistor (I think it was R78) with a 56K. Neither had adjustable bias (older models).

Comment

Originally posted by madkatb View Post
      The YCV40 (6L6's) uses the same power transformer and PCB wiring for the output tubes as the YCV50 (EL34's). So it has enough filament current capability to run a pair of EL34's and is the output tube bases are wired correctly. (Actually, I think they both use the same PCB.) All you need to do to run the EL34s is change the bias. Suddenly you'll have a distortion channel you can use (instead of mush) and still have a nice "chimey" clean channel. I've changed a couple of these by just paralleling the bias resistor (I think it was R78) with a 56K. Neither had adjustable bias (older models).
      Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a Traynor YCS 50 Combo. My Combo came with the 6L6s. If you ordered the Head, it came with EL34s.
      I read a thread on another forum, a long time back,where a guy put KT77s in his, and said it made it sound like a new and better amp.
      I don't know if he had to change any resistors or not?
      If all I had to do was replace the tubes and rebias, I could do that.
      You may want to try the KT77s also, they have the same heater current as the EL34s. 1.5A I think.
      The 6l6s run .9A .
      Doesn't the YCV40, and YCV50 both have the auto bias circuits?
      My YCS-50 has a manual bias circuit.
      Later,
      Terry
      Last edited by big_teee; 02-04-2011, 12:33 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I currently am running KT77s. In fact, I may have been "that guy".

Comment

Originally posted by azrael View Post
          I currently am running KT77s. In fact, I may have been "that guy".
          In which amp?
          I was talking about someone that was running the KT77s in a YCS-50 like I have.
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Oh, nm. They're in the YCV40 in question.

Comment

Working...
            X