Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5e3 Chassis Specs? Building from scratch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 Chassis Specs? Building from scratch.

Hello,

Can anyone point me to the 5e3 chassis specs? Or does anyone have one laying around they could take some measurements from? I'll need W" x H" x D". Size of transformer hole(s). Size and their location of the pots, switches, jacks, fuse, all the tube sockets, etc.

I'd like to build one from scratch cause I don't plan to use a chrome chassis. That and I would just like to build it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt

Originally posted by cmattdabrat View Post
    Hello,

Can anyone point me to the 5e3 chassis specs? Or does anyone have one laying around they could take some measurements from? I'll need W" x H" x D". Size of transformer hole(s). Size and their location of the pots, switches, jacks, fuse, all the tube sockets, etc.

I'd like to build one from scratch cause I don't plan to use a chrome chassis. That and I would just like to build it myself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Matt
    I built one in a hammond steel 17x3x4 box, and it was plenty of space for me to work with. The originals are probably smaller, because I know the cab is 16x20, and all the pics I see shows that the chassis doesn't fill the whole horizontal space of the cab. I have build 5E3 heads in 12x8 and 16x8 chassis boxes. The 16x8 was great, the 12x8 was a bit tight. It worked, but I had to alter the layout a bit. If you were using a can cap instead of putting the three big caps on the board, the 12x8 chassis could work ok.
    In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

This help?

http://www.webervst.com/chassis/5e3.pdf
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks!

Thanks for the idea cminor9. I didn't even think about that. I just might have to deviate from these plans a little so it's not so cramped.

Comment

one thing to consider with can caps: grounding. You'll want to ground the preamp & PI filter caps to a diff spot than the other one. Can caps consolidate ground normally, so you cannot split grounds to diff places. Improper grounding will cause noise issues.
          In the future I invented time travel.

Comment

I'm just going to use the specs from the Weber spec sheet. I did however create a full size template I plan to use for cutting out the chassis and drilling the holes. It's attached if anyone is interested in it.

Matt
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X