Speaker buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker buzz

I just hooked up my 2 new Weber 10A125-0 speakers to my Masco Ma25pn amp and am getting speaker buzz at certain lower frequencies. Especially when I push the amp. Speakers are wired in parallel. Anyone else run across this? Webers suggests more break in time and they admitted other customers have had the same problem. I also tried an old altec Lansing 415A biflex speaker and it sounded great. I know its not in the amp. Any suggestions or remedys would be appreciated. Any other suggestions on speakers for harp?
    Thanks,
    Anchovy

Check that the flying wires joining voice coil to terminals do not flap against the cone.
    Of necessity they are longer than needed to allow for cone movement.
    If so , *gently* pull them away from the cone with your fingertip , so they now rest a little further away from it.
    Some other debris, such as wire plastic clippings might have fallen between and cone when mounting.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

It sounds like a possible PI, (or prior to that), a preamp section oscillation at higher volume settings or power output levels but if it is speaker generated buzz... just send them back.
      It is very unlikely that any break in time will fix a defective speaker.
      A few years back I had to stop using most Weber speakers due to issues with cone cry, edge yowl, ghost noting and abnormally long break in times with many of them. Break-in didn't do much of anything in any timely fashion and my customers would not wait for that to happen anyhow.
      Bruce

Mission Amps
      Denver, CO. 80022
      www.missionamps.com
      303-955-2412

Comment

That's Weber's standard answer. Longer break in time fix everything from quiet speakers to cone cry...

Comment

I checked the flying wires. They don't seem to be hitting the cone. Bruce was right on the PI tube starting to oscilate at higher out put levels. I switched it out and it helped cut down on the feedback. It is very feedback resistant now. I still have a buzz in the speakers at certain lower frequencies when I push the amp. It is only a little better after changing out the PI tube. I will return the speakers to Weber so they can look them over. I am disappointed.
          Thank you all for the advice.

Comment

Working...
          X