Magnavox 5f1 tweed style tweed low watt style transformer issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnavox 5f1 tweed style tweed low watt style transformer issues

Bigtime Lost output and crazy high voltage readings (540 volts AC) on rectifier tube heater. (Excessively High DC voltage (12 to 17 volts) readings on tube heaters also).

I was screwing around - testing old junk tubes on my previously well functioning Magnavox (2-6v6, one 5y3 and with mini preamp tube I forgot the number).

At one point, my volume and tone controls had beccome half disconnected - via the RCA jack on the chassis. This caused much hum and squealing. Unplugged unit ASAP.

After finding that problem, I began testing some old 6v6 tubes (ebay) with my guitar connected. I replaced the Magnavox 6v6 tubes with a pair of GE or something. At first, they sounded good. Then sound began cutting out and in. Out and in. Shut off amp.

Then I tries some Sylvania 6v6's. No sound except some hum.

When I replaced my original Magnavox tubes, half my output or more had gone away.

I noticed red hot areas on top of the 5y3 that I thought I hadn't noticed before.

I checked with my cheap Chinese Digital mutimeter and found voltage readings that are way out of the norm.

540 volts AC on the yellow leads from the power trans to the 5Y3 rectifier tube. Yikes! Isn't that supposed to around 15 volts DC? The red striped leads on the bottom read 249 volts AC.

540 volts were found on the pins of the output tubes. 405 volts at the cap can. Green heater wires for the preamp and output tubes read 12.5 DC volts intially. After a few minutes, the voltage climbed to 17 volts DC. The bulb never blew out.

My thinking is that my PT got fried.

Please advise.

Forgot to add that smoke came from somewhere at some point when testing the bad tubes. I could not detect from where the smoke had come. When I unplugged the amp and turned it over, I could not trace it. The amp still operates, but at less than half the output it had prior to my screwing around tube testing. And those readings seem scary.
    Attached Files

Sounds like you blew a screen resistor from a bad tube or maybe blew the HT fuse.
    KB

Comment

Bad resistors

Can a bad screen grid resistor cause high voltage (B+) to route back through the circuit thereby producing high voltage at the heater leads? That seems odd, though I hope it's true. Better to replace resistors than a PT.

As seen in the photo, a large resistor that goes from a tube pin to ground appears to have been damaged. That resistor was likely the cause of the smoke that I saw.

I suppose I should replace that resistor first and see if that fixes the problem.

Any sage advice is appreciated.

Comment

Pulled "Bad" Resistor

Originally posted by hack View Post
        Can a bad screen grid resistor cause high voltage (B+) to route back through the circuit thereby producing high voltage at the heater leads? That seems odd, though I hope it's true. Better to replace resistors than a PT.

As seen in the photo, a large resistor that goes from a tube pin to ground appears to have been damaged. That resistor was likely the cause of the smoke that I saw.

I suppose I should replace that resistor first and see if that fixes the problem.

Any sage advice is appreciated.
        Resistor tests within specs at 240 ohms. Is this resistor the correct one for the job?

Comment

Screen resistors are found on only one output tube socket. Should I desolder and test them? Should I add similar resistors to the other 6v6 tube socket?

Comment

Replaced screen 100 ohm grid resistors. Replaced related 470 ohm resistor from tube pin to ground.

When removed from the amp. all three resistors tested within specs. Could they still be bad?

I found a loose connection in a tube socket. It was an important one - either pin 7 or 8. Maybe when I soldered in new resistors, it stiffened up a bad tube pin connector. Maybe that was the problem. I don't know. Could resistors read normal after taken out of a circuit after they had been fried with 540 volts?

Because now the amp is running like a champ. Thanks to all for the sage advice!

Comment

Working...
            X