Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to date an early 60s Strat pickup (Left hand Stagger?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to date an early 60s Strat pickup (Left hand Stagger?)

Trying to date a pickup that came into the workshop. The customer says its the bridge pickup from a '61 Strat. The pic is how it arrived ;-)

The magnets are sand cast as you can see the rough pitting with the slightest look of a bevel, the wires vintage cloth covered, flatwork 0.09" bottom, 0.06" top. The magnets are 0.18" in diameter and North Up. 'D' & 'G' string magnets are 0.71" high. The coil from Black start hookup wire would have been clockwise around the poles.

What struck me though is that the pickup seems to be from a left-handed set as the shortest magnet sits under the 'A' string yet his guitar is a right-handed strat.

Now either it was added at a later date or simply a mistake back in the factory but it got me thinking, when did FenderŪ start make left-handed pickups?

Can you tell us more about the wire?
    Is it 42 gauge formvar?
    Any signs of lacquer, or potting?
    Are the magnets beveled on the bottom?
    The white and black wire sure is in good shape.
    I have some that is new that looks older than that!
    Also is there any marking or stamping on the bottom of the flatwork?
    Pencil writing, etc.?
    Thanks,
    Terry
    Edit note*
    Is it possible it's been taken apart and reassembled?
    That could explain the magnets being in the wrong place!
    Last edited by big_teee; 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Its 42AWG Formvar no potting or signs of wax but definite signs of laquer. No bevels on the base of the magnets, no markings or pencil marks. I did think that it could've been worked on in the past but the poles are still very tight in the flatwork so maybe/maybe not.

Its a real curiosity.

Comment

With the owners permission, I would swap the magnet and put the short magnet over the b string.
        I had one so warped one time that I took it apart and left the flatwork in a vice overnight before rewinding.
        Another set, the top flatwork holes were wallered out so much I had to super glue before winding.
        Most fender sets I've rewound were south up and clockwise.
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I've asked him about that.

Had a good few old tele pickups (bridge & neck) where the top flatwork had worked its way off a couple of the poles - superglue helped ;-)

Comment

Working...
          X