Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey TNT 130 Board troubleshooting

Hi everyone,

I have had this amp sitting around that someone gave me and got the urge to take a crack at fixing it with my newfound soldering skills. You can turn it on and the red light comes on, but no sound whatsoever. I found a couple of obvious issues show in the pics below. Using the schematic I found in another thread I have identified a few things. A resistor R48 is missing with a scorch mark where it was. The air choke L1 also is scorched. The transitor VR2 had a chunk missing and the VR1 transistor has some discoloration (highly exaggerated by the flash in the picture, but causing the top line of text to be illegible).

I have done some minor circuit board repair, but I am a total noob to amp repair. It would be easy enough to replace the missing bits and see what happens, but I suspect there may be some upstream stuff that I need to check as the resistor that is blown off the board is right in the output. Any input would be appreciated. Suggestions on where to get the components/ part numbers, especially the transistors would be swell.

FWIW, the speaker passes the 9V battery test. I don't know if this is important, but the wiring to the speaker looks less than professional. It looks like stranded lamp cord soldered to the outputs, wire tied to some 16ga that had been cut and twisted back together at some time.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Contact customerservice@peavey.com and ask for the schematics - that includes a parts layout.

Yes, R48 is missing, 22 ohm 1 watt. Replace it.

Only reason that burnt up is that the large ugly coil of wire nearby came loose or broke off. In the R48 photo, it sure looks like the coil post is pulling out of the board. That coil carries the output current and must be intact.

VR1, VR2 are not transistors, they are voltage regulator ICs. Very common 7815 and 7915 types. Any electronics parts supplier has them. And also you can order parts direct from Peavey at reasonable prices.

Those two things really have zero to do with the resistor that burnt up.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

You sir are a saint. I salute your kindness.

Comment

Another plus 1 on thanks to Enzo as i have just opened the same amp and found the same issue exactly, resistor intact but burned to unrecognisable with scorched air coil next door.
        Now i know what it is and the fix..hopefully.

Just an aside but does anyone have the schematic for this beast as my 5W resistors are cooked to white fluff.
        I did look at the PDF link Enzo posted on anther thread but get a 1x1 pixel and no schematic in attachments???

Best regards

Comment

Peavey TNT130 Schematic

Here it is.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X