Mods performed on Peavey Valve King 112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods performed on Peavey Valve King 112

I have moded this amp to improve the sound, and it sound a lot better. I got rid of the power tubes and installed 2 matched TAD 6L6GC. I removed the pre amp tubes and installed Tung Sol 12AX7. I removed the Valve King Speaker and installed a Eminence Texas Heat. I removed the Belton reverb tank and installed a Accutronics 8EB2C1B. Man I just got rid of cheap parts to greatly improve this amp and it sounds great. I now have adjustable reverb, I have better mids, highs and lows were with the amp with out all the mods was a little muddy and the sound was just ok. Now if you have this amp try these mods that I have installed and tell me if they did not improve your sound on one of the lowest priced amps out there.

TAD 6L6GC Matched: price $67.00
    Tung Sol 12AX7: price $32.00
    Eminence Texas Heat: price $67.00
    Accutronics 83B2C1B price $24.00
    Total $190.00

Thank You for this information.I have one of these amps,and I can't wait to try the mods.One question-adjustable reverb-do I need to add a pot or circuit?the stock reverb is the worst part of this amp,imo.
    Thanks,
    b

Comment

Glad you are happy with it. Too bad you didn't make these changes one at a time to see which one contribute most to your new tone. I'd bet on the speaker of course.

$67 for a pair of 6L6? Boy I hope that included shipping, insurance, and a pack of Luckies.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the reply-i haven't done any mods yet,i was wondering about the reverb replacment.I'd like to have an adjustable reverb.Do i need a pot or circuit to use the aformentioned Accutronics reverb?
        Thanks(i'm with you on the speaker)

Comment

Did you have to re-bias the amp in order to change out the 6L6 power tubes? If so, how did you do this? Did you find an online site that indicates where the biasing pot is on the VK112? Thanks.

Dadov3

Comment

The bias is not adjustable on that amp. Just plug in the new tubes and play the amp. It is designed so any reasonable 6L6 will work fine. If you eant to run it up right to the edge of melt down like so many guys do, then you would have to modify the amp.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X