Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone make a jig to assemble SC bobbin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone make a jig to assemble SC bobbin?

I have been doing this with a plastic hammer with pretty poor results. I have been getting my parts from both stew mac and all parts. I was wondering if someone has some sort of jig for a drill press or a way of lining up the magnets so they are straight.

Practice grasshopper, practice.

Check the tools and winding gear thread. I had asked at one time what others used out of curiosity. Got a few replies. http://music-electronics-forum.com/t21379-post180215/
    Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by 888guitars View Post
      I have been doing this with a plastic hammer with pretty poor results. I have been getting my parts from both stew mac and all parts. I was wondering if someone has some sort of jig for a drill press or a way of lining up the magnets so they are straight.
      I don't have any fancy jig or anything.
      I took an old unused humbucker slug bobbin and drilled out the hole on one end and I drop the magnet in the hole and drive it in the flatwork.
      Before I do that I chuck each magnet up in my cordless drill and I lightly bevel each end of the magnet on a grinder.
      I countersink the flatwork holes lightly by going back and forth with a Phillips screwdriver larger that the magnet holes.
      By beveling the magnets, and countersinking the holes lightly, this allows assembly, without damaging the flatwork with the sharp magnet edges.
      I had a heck of a time assembling them before I started beveling the magnets.
      Don't get carried away on the beveling, you just want to remove the sharp edges and taper slightly.
      The beveled magnets make a much tighter fit, because your not cutting the flatwork with the sharp edges.
      I really like the Lazer cut Flatwork sold by Mojo.
      Good Luck,
      Terry
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I made one that operates on a big footpress and it takes about 30 seconds to put a strat pickup together but it took alot of time to design it to be foolproof and it still takes some skill- its not really worth setting up unless you are making at least 20 or 30 pieces at a time. That said I did it by hand with a plastic hammer up until about 90 days ago so thats 12 or 13 years of doing it by hand- takes practice and you can get quick and good at it. i dont bevel the magnets unless they are stagger pole but I have my own laser so I can get the holes just right.

Comment

Jason, I'd love to see a photo of that bad boy some day.
          I have always used a little 1/2 ton arbor press and I don't bevel, I just go down the line one magnet at a time and then press the top plate on in one slow, careful press with a metal plate over the top to keep the flat-work flat. It's not the fastest method but compared to drilling the holes, it's pretty fast. Having the flat base and parallel arbor of the press keeps everything perfectly vertical. I drill my holes with Trinado brand, screw-machine drills and the diameter of the holes is spot-on.

Comment

For a hammer it is easier if you use a "deadblow" hammer. It gets em' in easy and saves a lot of time and energy.
            Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

Ditto on the deadblow hammer. If you don't have one in your shop, you need one! I keep them around for fretting, but they've been my go to for pickups. They are stronger, don't have recoil issues, and are more accurate once you get the hang of it. More accuracy means less reaming out the hole unintentionally when you hit the piece funny. I use mine all the time - one of the best kept secrets, imho.

Comment

I laser cut lot of my own flatwork with the holes slightly under. Then I ream each one a little, line up each pole one at a time and use a drill press. Got it down to couple of minutes for a complete bobbin. Like others I use a simple jig made from a drilled out humbucker bobbin to keep the polepiece straight/perpendicular.

Must say though, the Mojotone flatwork is very good, great flush eyelets.

Comment

Working...
                X