Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching between a 12ax7 and 6sl7 in a 5F2-A

Hi all
    I've built another 5F2-a type clone and have wired an octal base in parallel with the
    regular 9pin pre-amp base so I can choose between them ,
    Whats the best way to switch between them , at the moment i just swap them over.
    Anyone tried it? any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you tried them both at the same time? Which of the tubes do u prefer?
    U could switch like u would channel switch. Kinda like this:

Oh, I drew a faulty switch, an unfaulty switch would have both poles go to the same tube...must be a chinese part;D
    Attached Files

Comment

not sure I prefer one over the other , the 6sl7 is warmer and more"lo fi" sounding
      I haven't tried both together , would this be safe?

Comment

Nothing will harm the tubes.

The 6SL7 is generally regarded as a better tube than the 12AX7 tho they are not exactly identical, I guess a 5751 is a closer noval version of the 6SL7? Most octal tubes supposedly have an edge on the 9 pin tubes. Not sure if this is related to tube life or other specs such as linearity.
        I have some cheap russian 6SL7 and they are crap compared to the NOS versions I unfortunately have too few of. Have you tried tube rolling different brands?

Comment

Originally posted by redelephant View Post
          Nothing will harm the tubes.

The 6SL7 is generally regarded as a better tube than the 12AX7 tho they are not exactly identical, I guess a 5751 is a closer noval version of the 6SL7? Most octal tubes supposedly have an edge on the 9 pin tubes. Not sure if this is related to tube life or other specs such as linearity.
          I have some cheap russian 6SL7 and they are crap compared to the NOS versions I unfortunately hav

e too few of. Have you tried tube rolling different brands?
          The octal tubes are tonally nice, but I always seem to find they suffer more from noise and microphonics than the 12AX7...NOS and new alike. The Sovtek 6SL7 was especially crapalicious in that regard.

Comment

Working...
          X