Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lipstick Pickups

Hello all,

I attempted a quick search on lipsticks here and really didn't find much...I hope that my search was accurate!

I am making several lipstick pickups and was hoping to pick anyones brain who has some tips or suggestions or whatnot. I'm putting them into a Strat. I got the kits from Guitar Parts USA. I'm making two for the Strat, one in the neck and the other in the middle. Then I will be making up three more fairly soon.

I wound the first one using the bobbin. The second one I will wind directly on the magnet (my preferred way). I was going to lightly coat the magnet with clear varnish (electronic circuit board varnish type spray) OR dip the magnet in wax all in an attempt to help the coil stay on the magnet and to insulate the edges of the magnet. Sound reasonable? Any better ideas? Is there a better source for lipstick parts?

While I have wound a good number of other types this is the first run of lipsticks and I am open to any ideas! I really enjoy the forum and have gleaned much info and resource info!

Thanks,
    Tom

Here's the thread I did back in August.
    http://music-electronics-forum.com/t21050/
    I built the kit you're winding from Guitar Parts.
    They sure are pretty, but as a strat pickup, I thought it mediocre at best.
    I wound mine on the bobbin, I wound it over-full and taped it with humbucker paper bobbin tape when I was done to keep it on the bobbin.
    Wire will cut through the wax like butter.
    The varnish will possibly work.
    I would tape the magnet with paper or scotch tape.
    If I did another one what I was going to try, was gluing some bobbin edges to the magnet.
    Maybe some formica, thin forbon, etc.
    Then tape the magnet litely, then wind.
    Another thing I didn't care for was I thought that the pickup was way to bright, and a weaker magnet would work better.
    Good Luck,
    Let us know what you come up with.
    Later,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Are the kit magnets alnico or ceramic? No need to worry about leakage to ceramic magnets as they are non-conductive. As has been posted many times before here the preferred magnet for these is AlNiCo VI. Perhaps that's something Magnetic Hold can help with.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        Are the kit magnets alnico or ceramic? No need to worry about leakage to ceramic magnets as they are non-conductive. As has been posted many times before here the preferred magnet for these is AlNiCo VI. Perhaps that's something Magnetic Hold can help with.
        The Magnet I had in the kit I wound back in august was a ceramic magnet.
        Explain What you mean about leakage?
        I don't have a clue where you would come up with a Alnico 6.
        Does Magnetic Hold sell in small quanities, or is this a supplier for large orders only?
        Thanks,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to wind the second one with the included ceramic magnet. I'll try the others with an alnico. I thought too of making a quick "removable bobbin" to help keep the coil intact. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Take care,
          Tom

Comment

Sorry, leakage is probably the wrong word, I meant short-circuit.

From what I understand from reading many posts here, Magnetic Hold is a small domestic supplier who will do all kinds of custom and one-off magnets for very reasonable prices. The fellow's name, Shea, is legendary around here as he understands pickup-speak.
            Magnetic Hold, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              The Magnet I had in the kit I wound back in august was a ceramic magnet.
              Explain What you mean about leakage?
              I don't have a clue where you would come up with a Alnico 6.
              Does Magnetic Hold sell in small quanities, or is this a supplier for large orders only?
              Thanks,
              Terry
              Alnico 6 was the original magnet type used in the original lipstick pickups...that is where that came from. Most commercial lipsticks that you can buy do not come with the correct alnico 6 magnet. I would bet most of the kits are wrong too.

If you do some searching, there are a couple posts from several years back talking about this, and talking about the Duncan custom shop lipsticks I had made. They assumed that because I wanted to have them make 3 lipsticks that I must want them for a Strat, so they sent them to me after 8 months, and of course they were not the correct pickups, since I wanted them for my Danelectro. They did have alnico 6 magnets and were about 6.5k or so. Wolfe sent them the correct magnets to use because they apparently didn't have them in stock. Once that was sorted out, they got the pickups to me quickly, but it took quite awhile for them to get the magnets because they kept trying to talk me into getting degaussed A5 or A2 and I wouldn't have it. I ended up buying those pickups at a discount due to the mistake, and got a Danelectro set of lipsticks from them for my Dano, again with alnico 6 magnets. These are fantastic and are in my Dano now, and are around 4.2k I think. I'd have to check my records for sure. The Strat lipsticks I sold to Bill Chapin for use in one of his custom made guitars after using them in a Strat for awhile. They were good, but I needed the money and they weren't good enough that I couldn't do without them. I ended up parting the Strat out anyway so its all good.

Greg

Comment

Greg,

I had found your thread regarding your Duncan pickups and found it very interesting. I wound the second lipstick last night and while my temporary bobbin worked, I now have a simple plan for what I believe will be a far better design. Once I make it, I will post a pic for anyone interested. I have yet to test these pups which hopefully I can do today, however I am thinking they may sound a bit lack luster. We shall see!

I think before I proceed with the other lipsticks I will try and get some alnico 6's. Many thanks for the info and links!

Tom

Comment

I would think you would get good results with A4, A5, or A6.
                  I know they would all sound as little different, but all in a Similar Gauss Range.
                  Tom, the kit I had I remember the magnet was of different dimensions, than a regular humbucker magnet.
                  I would make sure what ever you order will fit you lipstick tube.
                  I emailed Shea Yesterday eve, on some other magnets I'm trying to locate.
                  He said that he has a $40 minimum order.
                  He also said that he didn't mind stocking some magnets, if there was going to be a need and demand for them.
                  We should make a thread with magnets that we would all like stocked, That we would use occasionally.
                  For example: Different grades of Mini Humbucker Magnets, Lipstick tube magnets, magnets that could be used in flat single coils, etc.
                  Some of these might be something for a group buy, especially if you only need one or two on occasion.
                  Thanks,
                  Terry
                  Terry

Comment

I would think you would get good results with A4, A5, or A6.
                    I know they would all sound as little different, but all in a Similar Gauss Range.
                    Tom, the kit I had I remember the magnet was of different dimensions, than a regular humbucker magnet.
                    I would make sure what ever you order will fit you lipstick tube.
                    I emailed Shea Yesterday eve, on some other magnets I'm trying to locate.
                    He said that he has a $40 minimum order.
                    He also said that he didn't mind stocking some magnets, if there was going to be a need and demand for them.
                    We should make a thread with magnets that we would all like stocked, That we would use occasionally.
                    For example: Different grades of Mini Humbucker Magnets, Lipstick tube magnets, magnets that could be used in flat single coils, etc.
                    Some of these might be something for a group buy, especially if you only need one or two on occasion.
                    Thanks,
                    Terry
                    Its not just the gauss that changes the sound....each magnet type has different metals composition for each formulation, and this affects the eddy currents among other things.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
                      Its not just the gauss that changes the sound....each magnet type has different metals composition for each formulation, and this affects the eddy currents among other things.

Greg
                      I said that, they would all sound a bit different.
                      I wouldn't think anything earth shattering.
                      Apparently other magnets get close or the A6 magnet would be more prevelant, and not be on the endangered species list.
                      Later,
                      Terry
                      Terry

Comment

Another thing I didn't care for was I thought that the pickup was way to bright, and a weaker magnet would work better.
                        Lipsticks as a rule are very bright. Remember that the originals used a 100 K pot. If you use a higher value you'll end up with a pretty thin sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                          Lipsticks as a rule are very bright. Remember that the originals used a 100 K pot. If you use a higher value you'll end up with a pretty thin sound.
                          We put it in a Strat Bridge Posistion, and with the strong Ceramic magnet, It was pretty Ice-Pickey. I would probably do it different now, if I did it again.
                          It's another pickup option, if your looking for something different.
                          I would like to see a real Danelectro lipstick Dissected.
                          I really like the sounds that Jimmy Page used to get out of his.
                          Later,
                          Terry
                          Terry

Comment

Well, I finished my two initial LS pups and installed them in my guitar. The one pickup I wound on the bobbin turned out better than the one done wound directly on the magnet. Mainly, I was able to fit way more wire on the bobbin which was somewhat surprising to me...

Both pickups actually sound decent to me. The neck which is bobbin wound is quite a bit hotter obviously and while it's clean, is also somewhat thick sounding. The middle pickup is quite clean. Neither seem to be ice picky though as mentioned prior.

I have three more to make for someone and plan on just doing it on the bobbin and supplied magnet. Based on what I learned from these two I am quite sure the next three will be good. Do I like them more than a strat style in this strat? Nope, but they aren't bad. After these next three I will probably at some point revisit lipsticks and go the route of alnico direct wound. But I have other pickups I need first! I have a vintage Dano and I think it sounds great, so I think there is something to be said for this style. But obviously a lot of it is the interaction with the guitar itself.

Tom

Comment

Here's some more lipstick P/U Parts, at GJ.
                              Got Guitar Parts? : Guitar Jones USA
                              Terry
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X