check out my 1st build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check out my 1st build.

I used my Crate V58 as a platform. I added a 12AX7, and a 3 knob tone stack. It's a TON of work. After building it, I have a new respect for amps made on PCB's. You're saving a fortune on labor going with a PCB, and I don't blame amp makers for doing it at all.

I'm still learning, so I need to fine tune it a bit, but it's a lot easier now that the parts easy to get to. It's real quiet, and doesn't hum at all, so that's good. I need to get some knobs for it tho!

Looks really good, especially for a first effort. How does it sound?

jamie

Comment

It sounds a lot like my Boogie TA-15 on the Marshall 1974 mode with way more gain, but a lighter on the bass. I guess that dyna watt power is pretty good. I did 3 gain stages with a cathode follower. I liked an AT7 in the CF spot as it retains more glassiness in the tone. I tried bypassing the tonestack and master volume by running 2 gain stages right into the power section, and liked that tone a lot! But it was loud and only loud! I tried putting a 1 meg pot on it going in on 1, out on 2, and grounding 3, but it didn't work right. The TS really eats your tone a lot I'm discovering.

I tried to get more bass out of it by fully bypassing the cathodes, but it's a bit bloated that way. I think I'll gra a 100n cap tomorrow for the bass and go lighter on the cathode bypassing. I seen a 100n in a Mesa Lonestart tone stack, so I'll give it a go.

Maybe I could do a parallel cathode follower into the TS? I'll have to see if that will even work, and how to make it work.

Comment

If you've got plenty of drive into the output tube (and you do) you might try cathode feedback. It's often helpful in linearizing the bass on a smallish output transformer. Instead of connecting the output tube cathode bypass cap to ground, connect it to the speaker output. If it howls/squeels, swap the two ends of the output primary. A google search should yield more info but the simplest thing is to just try it since it would require either one or three connection changes.

jamie

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I guess I made a rookie mistake. I had .047 uf coupling cap between the master volume, and the power tube. I took that out, and got all the bass I need!

I also re biased the 12AT7 cathode follower, which really pushed the tone through the tone stack.

I used 10k resistors on the plate and cathode follower cathode resistor. I biased the plate with a 560 resistor, and a 2.2 uf bypass cap. I'm getting a bias of about 1.93 volts, and it's pushing about 4.5 ma's! It works great, and I get a nice solid tone.

Comment

Man. I'm still too embarrassed to post any pictures of my work. Maybe if I use the pixelated "secret witness" filter to hide what things really look like. Nice work.

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jfutral View Post
              Man. I'm still too embarrassed to post any pictures of my work. Maybe if I use the pixelated "secret witness" filter to hide what things really look like. Nice work.

Joe
              Thank you sir!

I warmed up the bias of the AT7 to about 1.3 volts, so it's pushing 6+ ma's! It added a warmer character to the sound that complimented the cooler biased early stages. A little change in bias makes a big difference in the tone I'm finding. I don't wanna get to greedy as I'm liking the sound, but the GE 6201 I'm using has a max spec of 10ma's. I almost wanna try upping the ante on it even more...

I like the sound a lot. Single notes have a firm, yet molten feel to the them like hot lava. The tone controls seem to have a lot of variety after I learned how they work from using the Duncan tone stack calculator. Admittedly I didn't like the FMV tonestack at first. Plus, I dialed it in to how I like too.

I think I have it dialed in after about 60 hours of work. I'm going to leave it for a while to see how it gels on me. Frankly, I'm sick of working on it!

Comment

Originally posted by jfutral View Post

Joe
                I tell you what. I did a java applet that pixels pictures. Up load your pictures and I'll make sure to pixel them. *Fingers crossed behind the back.*
                In this forum everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X