help with wiring a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with wiring a guitar

i bought a guitar from a pawn shop and one of the pickups is not working so i assumed its a wiring issue. i am new to this so if theres any one very knowledgable with all types of pickups that can help let me know. btw the pickup is a emg hz its wired directly to a 500k pot i think but the white and black wires are not soldered to any thing they are just taped to the main casing. if anyone can help please let me know. thank you, JM.

Read this EMG HZ file please.
    Link: http://www.siglermusic.com/images/em...Z-35-40-45.pdf
    What you need to do is find out if the pickup coil is good, open or shorted.
    Use an ohmeter & measure the resistance of the two exposed pickup wires.
    Forget the black & white for now,

Comment

i tested the pickup and got a reading of 13.16, i looked up the specifications and the reading is supposed to be at 13.65 so is this normal.

Comment

13.16 what?
        Measure the resistance.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtOfShred87 View Post
          i tested the pickup and got a reading of 13.16, i looked up the specifications and the reading is supposed to be at 13.65 so is this normal.
          it was in ohms @ 20k

Comment

I guess that means 13.15K.
            Tjat sounds good.
            I do not have a clue what guitar you have or the configuration of the electronics.
            How many pickups, does it have a PU selector switch (if so, how many clicks) how many volume pots, how many tone controls.
            There has to be a gazillion ways to wire a guitar.
            Can you pick something that's close from the web?
            Google guitar pickup wiring.

Comment

its a b.c rich stealth i think its 2 vol. 1 tone with a 3 way switch i have some pictures of how the pots are wired if you want to take a look Pictures by ArtOfShred87 - Photobucket

Comment

B C Rich Stealth PU Layout

Here is a layout diagram.
                It is not rocket science.
                If the pickup has resistance, it is probably good.
                If you have to, you can jumper the pickup right to the output jack.
                That will bypass all the other stuff.
                Check the volume pot resistance.
                The two outside legs are the overall R value.
                The middle leg to either end will change when the pot is rotated.
                The signal goes from the Vol pot to the selector switch before it goes to the tone control & output jack.
                Put your meter leads on the output jack.
                Moving the selector should toggle between the two pickups.
                Rotating the respective vol pots should show a change (ie: 13K full on to a short to ground at full off)
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X