bad cat mini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad cat mini?

Hey guys, I know this is a stuipid ? but on the bad cat mini schematic the pins are not numbered. I Know on the 12ax7 where 1 2&3 and 6 7 & 8 are .I know also the on the el84 that it's 2, 7, 9, & 3 but where #3 is there's a bent arrow,does this mean to join 3&8 together? Where does the cathode tie in? It shows that it ties in between #7 and #2 then goes to ground?

Chuck.badcat-minicat-amplifier-schematic[1].pdf

Anyone?

Comment

It means that these two parts of the tube are internally connected.

Jake

Comment

Also, I wouldn't use 220K as a value for balancing the heaters. Use 2x100 ohm or 220 ohm. That works 99% of the time.

Comment

Hey guys thanks for chimin in. I hear ya on the 220k for balancing the heaters.I have power and everything on but no sound.I'll change the 220k balancing the heaters for 2x100 ohm. So where the cathode ties in(220uf/250v with 220 ohm Resistor) to the el84,just above the pin#2 is this conection to pins 3&8?

Comment

Focus on getting sound before worrying about the heaters.

Comment

Yes, I got sound but it's very intermittent. Any suggestions?

Comment

I can only get sound when I hit the guitar strings really hard and then the sound is very weak. Could it be a grounding issue?

Comment

There is a mistake on the schematic. The right side (on the schematic) of the Master Volume pot that connects to the 220K resistor should also go to ground. The 220 ohm resistor that connects to pin 3 of the EL84 should be atleast a 3 watt part.

Voltages on the EL84 should be:
                  Pin 2: 0V
                  Pin 3: 10.4V
                  Pin 4: 3.15VAC
                  Pin 5: 3.15VAC
                  Pin 7: 312V
                  Pin 9: 320V
                  WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                  REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Hey loudthud, thanks man. That was my problem,the 220k resistor wasn't grounded. I changed the 220 ohm resister on pin 3 to a higher wattage as you suggested and the amp is now working pretty good. Thanks again for your help,I appreciate it.

Chuck.

Comment

Working...
                    X