Modding the Alamo stand-alone reverb unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modding the Alamo stand-alone reverb unit

This one is called Reverb +. It sounds pretty average when I got it and I'm wondering if anyone has broke the code and got theirs to sound better? I've replaced the usual suspect components and voiced it to sound a little better but I'm a bit stuck with the drive side stage with it's 6U8a pentode. With its full-sized reverb tank and 4 tube stages, I can't see why this shouldn't sound pretty good.

Bob M.

Originally posted by Bob M. View Post
    This one is called Reverb +. It sounds pretty average when I got it and I'm wondering if anyone has broke the code and got theirs to sound better? I've replaced the usual suspect components and voiced it to sound a little better but I'm a bit stuck with the drive side stage with it's 6U8a pentode. With its full-sized reverb tank and 4 tube stages, I can't see why this shouldn't sound pretty good.

Bob M.
    Is there any reason that you couldn't just gut it, build up a new turret board, change some tube sockets, and turn it into a vintage Fender clone? You didn't post a schematic. If the PT is close it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Comment

Yes, I could gut it and build a Fender type reverb in its place but it belongs to an Alamo collector who would like it to remain somewhat true to the original design. He's a working musician and I suspect he would appreciate something more Fender-esque in sound. This thing isn't horrible but it isn't very good, either. Being an open-architectured device, I'm always hopeful that a few intelligent and fruitful tweaks can bring this unit around to reverb reasonable-ness. I'm hoping to connect with someone with a similar Alamo reverb story and possibly, solution. As to the best of my knowledge, there is no schematic for this unit on the net, however I will be posting one, with mods, when completed.

Bob M.

Comment

Do you have a schematic???
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

As to the best of my knowledge, there is no schematic for this unit on the net, however I will be posting one that I made from studying the circuit, with mods, when completed.

Comment

Often times when a reverb doesn't sound full and rich it's because the tank isn't being driven hard enough. But a schematic will help to know what's going on (or not going on).
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
            X