Where can i find this pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can i find this pot?

I have a set of logitech speakers that has a problem which i traced to a dual ganged pot. I opened it and bent the contacts out and that helped reduce the problem about 80%. But the pot itself is just not good quality so i want to find a quality replacement. Problem is, it will be hard to find one that fits. In the pic in the link below look at the center/bottom pot. It looks just like that but is a dual ganged pot and the legs are longer and they are "L" shaped so it's soldered into the board with the shaft pointing up from the board instead of parallel. It also has a support frame that solders to the board. But otherwise it looks the same and is probably the same make. Do you know of anyone who makes a pot like that that is QUALITY? This one looks like it's hig quality but you open it up and the contacts will bend just looking at them. I need one that will last longer than the few weeks the stock one did when new !

http://akamai.globalsources.com.edge...1001289365.jpg

No. Problem is that pots are made to spec for the equipment OEMs. They are not off the shelf items. If your pot is failing and won't clean up, why not call the logitech folks and get a couple of the pots. Seriously, how long will it take you to wear out a new one?

The alternative is to find a pot you like with regular solder connections and add lengths of stiff bare wire to each leg bent to substitute for the original part legs.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

If you can non-destructively disassemble the thing, you could (maybe) replace the elements. It's something to try while you wait for Logitech to cough up the replacement parts.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I know all the tricks like that, but the problem is the pot is not supported in any way except bu it's circuit board connection. Its just too hard to explain but there are other logistical problems. And getting more from logitech isn't a possibility. And even if it were, the pot is the culprit in a defective design. There are infinite accounts of the same problem online and logitech has since agreed to RMA them for the later model. Mine went sound just weeks after i bought them but logitech gave me the 3rd degree and wanted them back to test them or some such thing with no mention of a replacement. So i passed and apparently in the couple years or so since then i found that the problem was rampant and they had made the decision to RMA all speaker with this defect that were still under warranty. Mine no longer were, but the point is the pots last literally weeks or a few months before going bad. Thats why i want a quality pot.

And to the other reply, i DID take it apart. And what i noticed is that the contacts were in need of bending back up. But you can't even imaging how soft the metal is ! They were not only bent down, but sideways a bit. Utter crap quality. The rest of the pot IS quality, but those contacts whatever you call em are just worthless. I bent them back and held it together then opened it back up to see just that bent them most of the way back down. I've repaired pots for decades and run into all sorts, and this was one of the worse in that regard. It felt as tho the metal was part lead it was so soft. So thats why even if i could get a logitech replacement i'd pass. Most of the people who complained also had theirs go bad in no time at all after purchase.

If i can't find a replacement i think I'll just use any quality pot and shit-can the remote casing and build the unit into a drive bay cover.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'd do, use a larger good pot and trash the remote case. Or maybe even trash the whole speaker system and get a pair of Mackie powered monitors
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
          X