Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnetism (permeability) in tele bridge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetism (permeability) in tele bridge.

Have this been discussed?
    I have experimented to see if magnets stick to bridge, and have found both types. Some wont let magnets stick and other did. I never had a tele, so have not done much research in this field. But now I have a tele, and I want to learn what's normal, what would be a good bridge, how and how much will it affect the sound of the bridgepickup…

Tele bridges that stick to magnets are steel, while those that don't are usually brass. The steel bridges are generally preferred on Teles for providing a more biting attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Jeppson View Post
      Tele bridges that stick to magnets are steel, while those that don't are usually brass. The steel bridges are generally preferred on Teles for providing a more biting attack.
      Were the originals Steel?
      I don't have a clue!
      This probably adds to the brightness associated with Teles.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Yeah, the original vintage were steel, and at some point Fender switched to brass. I only know this because I remember reading a story about people taking kitchen magnets into music stores to test the bridges on teles before buying. If you want to get a really cutting sound on a tele, get a steel bridge where the saddles look like threaded bolts turned sideways. Tougher to intonate unless you use a compensated nut, but will bring you closer to old Albert Collins bright biting tone.

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty much what I thought. Guess I like the brass then.
          But the bridge affects sound quite much, is there a reason to have the baseplate then?

Comment

The early 1950's were cold rolled steel. I had the metalugy analysis done on one (it was very hard to cut apart a 53 tele bridge). Fender stamped the bridge and the baseplate from the same metal. I also did magnetic tests with vintage and modern pickups in the bridge and measured the gauss strength at different points on the bridge. The Glendale Bridge, while completely the wrong thickness, had very similar gauss readings at the corresponding points to the 50's bridge.

Comment

Not much response to this. What does people like? Steel or not as bridge material?
              I never heard about Glendale, will probably order from them soon.

Comment

Originally posted by belwar View Post
                The early 1950's were cold rolled steel. I had the metalugy analysis done on one (it was very hard to cut apart a 53 tele bridge). Fender stamped the bridge and the baseplate from the same metal. I also did magnetic tests with vintage and modern pickups in the bridge and measured the gauss strength at different points on the bridge. The Glendale Bridge, while completely the wrong thickness, had very similar gauss readings at the corresponding points to the 50's bridge.
                Out of my price range.
                So On the cheap, I wonder how would the Wilkinson ashtray bridge with compensating saddles compare to the fender original tonally?
                The Glendale Bridge is priced like their guitars.
                Speaking of Glendale, has anyone done an analysis, of the Glendale Bridge Pickup?
                It's made in Italy I think.
                I've heard nothing but good about all of the Glendale products, just out of a lot of folks price point!
                Later,
                Terry
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

You can get a real Fender stamped steel baseplate for about $30.

Guitar Parts Resource:: Genuine Fender Telecaster Bridges

Steel is brighter sounding than brass as far as the bridges are concerned, and it also affects the tone of the pickup, because it's magnetic.

Also, Hipshot makes a stainless steel Tele bridge, which is probably not magnetic.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The glendale stuff is very nice. My favorite bridge though is the Callaham. From a construction standpoint its exactly what im looking for. It's thick and built like a truck. Very well machined.

Comment

Working...
                    X