5E3x2 Rectifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5E3x2 Rectifier?

I would like to replace the copper cap rectifier in my Weber 5E3x2 with a tube rectifier. Is it as easy as just installing a new tube or is there any additional wiring/rewiring required?

Also, any suggestions as to which tube rectifier would best suit this amp?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Is your amp the older version or the newer one? The new one has a 100R 25w power resistor between the rectifier and the filter section. Going by the schematics, the new version takes a 5AR4/GZ34, and the old one takes a 5R4.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks very much Jeff.

Comment

I neglected to answer the first part of your question. If you haven't hooked up the 5v rectifier filament supply (yellow leads) to the tube socket, you will need to do so.

Comment

Just checked the amp, and please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Red/White leads the 5v rectifier filaments?

Comment

Hi Fats,
            The red/white leads are the lower high voltage winding which isn't used in your amp. The yellow leads are 5vac, specifically for the rectifier heater. They go to pins 2 and 8 of the rectifier socket, and you can still use a copper cap if you like.
            The spec sheet for the transformer in question will help you sort it out:

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/022798sch.jpg

Btw, my great grandparents came from Wales. Not sure where they came from exactly, but their name was Baxter. Maybe you've heard the name.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
              Sorry, newbie mistake...even though I had the correct colour wires going to the correct pins, I measured the voltage on a DC scale rather than on AC (the Red/White leads measured approx 5Vdc).

As for the Red/White wires, on the Weber schematic and layout it shows the Red/White wires going to Pin 4 and Pin 6 of the rectifier??

Should I be using the RED wires instead?

One of my mates as a kid was called Baxter!!

It'd be interesting to find out in which part of Wales your great grandparents lived.

Comment

D'oh! My mistake! Your amp uses the lower voltage red/white winding. I don't know what I was looking at last time. I doublechecked the rest of my post for accuracy, and it's ok.

I'm not too knowledgeable about family history, but my brother has gotten into geneology recently. I know he corresponds with one or two distant Welsh relatives.

I'll let you know if I learn anything from him.

Comment

Working...
                X