Max volume too low on tweed twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max volume too low on tweed twin

Just built a tweed twin this week. After installing everything into the cab i turned it on and it was quiet. Too quiet. If I turn the volume up to max (12) the amp sounds like its on 1. The crazy thing is that the guitar sounds alright at the low volume: No hum, no crackles, and the tone knobs all control the sound like they should.

I have tried so many things to try and fix this but cant seem to get it right. I checked all the plate voltages and they look good, replaced the tubes, searched for connections leaking to ground. Anyone have a good explanation as to why the tone would sound good but the volume is just too low?? This amp is supposed to be crazy loud and I can barely get anything.

Ben

Keep looking. There is most likely a mistake in the wiring. It would help if you could signal trace the circuit. A signal generator of some kind is all you need.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Usually when there is a fault in the signal path, the sound is reported as distorted when the volume control is all the way up. Since you are reporting a clean sound, that makes me think the problem is before the volume control where the signal can't get big enough to be distorted. Not much circuitry before the volume control so first check the input jack wiring. Below is a link to an old thread where you ohm out the input jacks from the guitar cable to the pins on the first tube. Note that the readings are valid for the 5F8A. Some older Twins might differ.

Input jack resistance check, post # 10 http://music-electronics-forum.com/t12667/
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
      X