Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom chassis wanted in Australia!

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a couple of prototype custom aluminium chassis made, and wondering if anyone in Australia could do this, or know of any companies that could?

Any help greatly appreciated

google engineering companies with a sheet metal laser cutting and bending facilities, there will be loads.
    You will need a drawing though.

Comment

Thanks Mike for the tip. I guess I was wondering if anyone local had experience with any of these engineering companies, as there really are heaps!

Comment

Since you haven’t had any other responses here,

There are a few Ausie guys over on 18watt.com. I think there is also an Ausi amp builder’s forum. But it doesn’t come up in my google, maybe try it on your side.

I have just had 50 chassis made, basically you do the drawing and then send it to as many people as you can to get prices. The guys that don’t want the work will charge a huge amount.
        Bare in mind that a single chassis for an engineering company is allot of work, you will likely end up having to pay machine set up times + the hourly rate etc.

You cheapest option would be to buy a blank chassis and machine it yourself, if you have the tools and premises to do so.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I'm actually currently wondering how to justify to my family how a box and pan brake in the shed would improve all of our lives

Comment

I have my eye on one too, every family should have one!

Comment

I went to a local metal fabricator for a quote for a custom chassis, ~17" * 6" * 2.5", 1.6mm thick aluminium. $138 Australian dollars + GST each

The box and pan brake I'm looking at is $400. Surely aluminium sheet isn't that expensive. So I figure I paid for the brake after at most 4 chassis? Seems like I've found my next birthday present

Comment

Aluminum is not that expensive, but labor is. In the US, shop rates for that kind of work are anywhere from say 45 to 90 bucks and hour (very rough because I don't do alot of sheet metal work). Figuring similar numbers in Oz, that's about two hours worth of skilled labor to make your chassis; materials will be negligible compared to labor for one chassis. For a one off, I'd say that's about right.

Depending on what tools you already have, tooling up to make chassis might be more expensive than just the price of the break. It sounds obvious, but alot of people don't think of the whole job when they start a project.
                -Mike

Comment

Hey, I have tons (LITERALLY!!) of expensive tools in my shop that I don't always use everyday. Go for it, dude! Sincerely--RIZ, tool junkie...
                  Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

I'm thinking of 2" angle and flat sheet for my first chassis designs, held together with pop rivets. Of course, a good ground buss would be necessary... Maybe not the best or most durable idea but with a thoughtful box design it outta work for starters. I know a bunch of folks with metal shops in my area for when I get ready to take it to the next level. Just having fun for now!
                    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

You should be able to get a piece of aluminuim for £5.00, whatever that is in $AU

Ask that same company for a quote for 25 or 50 and the price will be much closer to what you would expext.

What Box and pan brake are you getting for $400?

great birthday gift idea BTW, I have just freed up some space in my workshop for one too.

Comment

This is the one on my birthday list, I think that it will do the job nicely - New Hafco Pan Brakes, Slitters and Folders for sale - HAFCO METALMASTER Manual Panbrake PB 24 600 x 1 0m, 14465

Only problem is my birthday is still 6 months away, and I'm not a very patient person............

Comment

Hi jimboyogi from Joe in Sydney! I've been getting my chassis done by my son-in-law at his fitting shop. A sheet of 1200 by 2400 is pricey and they charge for cuts onsite to get it to fit in your sedan. I think I ended up paying about 150 for a sheet of 1.5mm at Metal by the Metre. Other options could be your local Technical college (TAFE) as they sometime take on projects. To keep it simple for my SIL I've done a U frame and if I want sides I'll get another U shape of 50 by 200 and bolt it together with countersunks. Welding the corners is a PITA as aluminium welding is different to the other metals. As mentioned there is AGGH in Oztralia for diy music ideas. Cheers Joe. p.s. that pan brake is giving me GAS as well.

Comment

Hi jimboyogi, I'm a bit late into this thread so you're probably fixed up now. I get my alluminium and bending done at Alluminium Express in Bayswater Vic. As an example I was charged $25 to fold up a 5e3 style chassis including materials (1.5 mm from memory). I do all my own holes etc though so the price might not mean much. Good luck.
                            Dunc

Comment

Thanks JoeK and Backbeat. I am now the proud owner of the pan brake that I linked to. I bought a 1200 * 2400 * 1.8 aluminium sheet on ebay, with local pickup, for $90, which should do me a whole bunch of chassis. Wasn't easy to fit in the car though

I've been cutiing it up with a circular saw and hacksaw, which seems to work fine. So far I've only tried bending one chassis, which taught me that I have much to learn about bending chassis'

Backbeat the prices that you are getting for ali and bending sound very reasonable, if I had found that place earlier I might not have bothered gearing up myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X