Need info on Vintage Gretsch Professional Hi Fi Electromatic. Pic and video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need info on Vintage Gretsch Professional Hi Fi Electromatic. Pic and video

I was hoping someone could give me some info on the amp I bought on Craigslist today. It's a big Gretsch with 2 12" speakers and it looks like it's supposed to have 2 tweeters but they aren't in it. It has a 6 tube preamp as far as I can tell and probably another 6 tubes on the amp itself. Has a spring reverb built in and trem, 2 channels, etc. It sounds awesome and is crystal clear even turned all the way up. Any info or pricing info would be greatly appreciated. I bought it on a whim along with a harmony h306. 200 each. I hope I got my money's worth.

Youtube video 1

Youtube video 2

I posted this on the Gretsch Pages as well.

That is a freaking beautiful amplifier! Good score, wish I had seen it on CL for that price!
    Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

I was actually surprised I got it. The seller said I was the first to respond but that he got an untold number of emails after that. When I met him in the best buy parking lot to get them 3 people stopped to see them and one guy kept circling in his truck. For the sound alone it was worth 200.00. I'd still like to know more about it though. It's a beast of an amp, maybe 60-70 pounds. I guess it had better be. One that looked just like it in a vintage catalog was priced 495.00 and that was in 1954. That's not cheap for the period.

Comment

It looks something like this but the control panel is different and slightly more modern looking. This is as close as I could get though to anything that looks like this amp.

Comment

Here is a better quality video:

Youtube video 3

Comment

Guessing it was made by Valco. Probably about a 30 watt amp. You are correct about the separate pre- and power sections. They (Valco) used that separate chassis arrangement on a few models. Those "plugs" you mention connect the two and probably have some high voltage, so be careful of those if you unplug them. Many things Gretsch from back in the day were not well documented, this seems to be one of them. Never seen this amp before. The transformers look beefy! Gretsch amps usually had the metal knobs same as on the guitars. Maybe they were changed. And the orange silk screening makes me think later vintage, like 60's, but the rest of the amp seems of the late 50's style. Hard to say!
            Don't believe everything you think. Beware of Rottweiler. Search engines are free.

Comment

By silk screen I'm guessing you mean the screen on the front? It's actually a dirty white like an off white paint. my guess is that it was white at one time. It kind of looks orange in the photo. Good info though. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Nah, the orange lettering on the chassis. The speaker grills are flocked screen.

Comment

Working...
                X