Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire: Poly ??? Pickup Spec

Wire: Poly ???

What does this mean? Polymer film or different wire gauge ?

thx

Originally posted by ZeroCool7 View Post
    Wire: Poly ???

What does this mean? Polymer film or different wire gauge ?

thx
    Poly or Poly Nylon is the composistion of the insulating coating on the wire.
    Others include, Formvar is Varnish coating, Plain Enamel is a enamel coating on the wire.
    The gauge of wire is the size of the wire. The Larger the wire gauge number, the smaller the wire.
    Common sizes of wire used in pickup winding is 42,43,44, & some 46Gauge.
    42 being the largest.
    Good luck,
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      Others include, Formvar is Varnish coating, Plain Enamel is a enamel coating on the wire.
      The gauge of wire is the size of the wire. The Larger the wire gauge number, the smaller the wire.
      Common sizes of wire used in pickup winding is 42,43,44, & some 46Gauge.
      42 being the largest.
      Good luck,
      Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        Plain Enamel is an Oleoresinous varnsh made from oxidised linseed or tung oil and "cooked" with other resins.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
          Plain Enamel is an Oleoresinous varnsh made from oxidised linseed or tung oil and "cooked" with other resins.
          I was trying to keep things simple on a beginner level, but Thanks.
          It's also almost Extinct, Mostly P/U Winders are keeping it alive!
          That's mainly why it costs more than other insulators, and fewer and fewer Companies are making it!
          Rock On!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Seriously now, how many people actually knew that PE was made by oxidising Linseed or Tung oil? I'll bet nobody.
            Frank, maybe? Rick, maybe?

We are the ONLY industry keeping PE alive so far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMacleod View Post
              Seriously now, how many people actually knew that PE was made by oxidising Linseed or Tung oil? I'll bet nobody.
              Frank, maybe? Rick, maybe?

We are the ONLY industry keeping PE alive so far as I know.
              A simple search in the search box will help you- Try using "Oleoresinous". here is a better topic- http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5079/
              Last edited by NightWinder; 02-28-2011, 06:19 PM. Reason: HE made me do it!!

Comment

I think just basic info about the wire coatings, and What the Wire gauge Numbering meant Is all He probably Wanted!
                I always thought it was crazy that the bigger the wire gauge number, the smaller the wire!

Good Luck,
                Last edited by big_teee; 03-01-2011, 12:06 AM.
                Terry

Comment

Originally posted by NightWinder View Post
                  A simple search in the search box will help you- Try using "Oleoresinous". here is a better topic- http://music-electronics-forum.com/t5079/
                  You missed the point of my question entirely. We all know it's an Oleoresinous. How many know it was made from Linseed or Tung? That was my question. Mark my words, it won't be long before "I make my own plain enamel using the original Tung Oil formula" sprouts up.
                  I reported on the missing benzene in 2004...maybe 2005. I remember this because I bought my winder in 2003 just before Jennifer and I got married, just as I was getting hooked up with Fernandes. it was 2004 that my Marshallhead pickups were first developed, that used AWC wire with benzene for the first few, then it switched to REA because AWC stopped producing it around that same time and MWS started using REA. I tried to find my old "No more plain enamel post" here but couldn't and it doesn't seem to be in the archives either.

What other hazardous substance was used in the old PE that has also been taken out?

Here's something else that I find hilarious:
                  Alnico 8 in 2002. NOBODY back then. I did in 1998. Now..everyone... AMPAGE Archive: Re:Alnico 8--Quite the opposite!

Comment

Working...
                  X