Fender champion 600 cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender champion 600 cab

Hello, I am in the planning stages of building an extension cab for my champion 600 and have a few questions. I plan on using solid pine to get that old fender "mojo" and I plan on leaving it natural and staining it. I am using 1" pine and might plane it down to 3/4 but I am not sure yet, I kind of like the look of the thicker wood (sort of like orange and emperor cabs). I am using an 8" weber.

Here are my questions:
    1. Do dimensions matter a ton? If I make it the same dimensions as the champion 600 cab will it still sound as boxy? I feel that since the 600 is made with cheap particle board thats one reason it sounds boxy and cheap.
    2. what kind of bolts/nuts are used to attach the speaker to the baffle? Can I get them at mojotone?
    3. What will be the main difference between open and closed back? Will closed back give me more bass response?
    Happiness. Only real when shared.

Closed back will load the speaker & give a bassier tone.
    You really should search Google for cabinet design info.

Comment

Originally posted by Hella1hella View Post
      Hello, I am in the planning stages of building an extension cab for my champion 600 and have a few questions. I plan on using solid pine to get that old fender "mojo" and I plan on leaving it natural and staining it. I am using 1" pine and might plane it down to 3/4 but I am not sure yet, I kind of like the look of the thicker wood (sort of like orange and emperor cabs). I am using an 8" weber.

Here are my questions:
      1. Do dimensions matter a ton? If I make it the same dimensions as the champion 600 cab will it still sound as boxy? I feel that since the 600 is made with cheap particle board thats one reason it sounds boxy and cheap.
      2. what kind of bolts/nuts are used to attach the speaker to the baffle? Can I get them at mojotone?
      3. What will be the main difference between open and closed back? Will closed back give me more bass response?
      For the thickness of the cabinet I suggest to use 3/4", for the baffle I suggest to use plywood 1/2" or even less.
      1) dimensions are not critical in open box as much as they are in closed boxes unless the cabinet is too small in that case it will cut bass frequency and will give boxy sound. The best thing you can do is to chose dimension similar to the Fender Champ BF or not less of a Tweed Champ. In the web you'll find them.
      Do not expect that the type of wood will make a big difference.
      2) normal screws for wood will do the job unless you screw and unscrew them many times.
      3) yes close cabinets have more bass response. I prefer open back cabinets, they sound more live, especially for Fender amps.

Comment

Working...
      X