Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland Cube 60 has 50 mV of DC offset.... What is considered too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland Cube 60 has 50 mV of DC offset.... What is considered too much?

I have 50 mV with or without the speaker connected using an 8 ohm speaker. Is this acceptable? The original owner replaced the stock 8 ohm speaker with a 4 ohm. Is 50 mV going to heat the voice coil??

Originally posted by 1ampman View Post
    I. Is 50 mV going to heat the voice coil??
    Not much.

But the 4 ohm speaker is going to pull roughly twice the power of an 8 ohm.
    This in itself is cause for concern. More so than the feeble dc offset.

"IF" you play the amp full bore, flat out.

Comment

Thx Jazz Bass.... I thought 50mv was acceptable for guitar amps. I'm installing the correct speaker. Well that's good news!

Comment

Figure it out. 50mv through 8 ohms is 6ma of current. And that is 0.3 milliwatts.

You would have three tenths of one milliwatt of voice coil heating. A milliwatt being 1/1000th of a watt.

Rubbing your hands together and blowing on them would cause more heat.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

So what would be considered too much dcv on an output for guitar amps. ??? When you consider it repair time.....

Comment

When it tells my amplifier-zen all-amp-oneness that it is a sign of trouble.

If I see a half a volt offset even under load, I am curious to know why it is there. SOlid state amps are so heavily fed back on themselves there really ought to be no offset. But a few millivolts are probably inevitable now and then. But that half a volt? If the amp sounds OK and shows no signs of trouble, I am not likely to know it is there in the first place. And certainly if it hits a volt or volts, then there is something wrong. Even a half volt won;t hurt the speaker, but to me it is an omen.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X