Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6-wire (+ground) 3-Speed Fan Motor... help!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-wire (+ground) 3-Speed Fan Motor... help!?

So, I have a motor I want to turn into a pickup winder. From what I can tell I think it's an AC motor. It's got 7 wires coming out of it, and it runs on 3 speeds. From my research I think these are the start/end to 3 coils around the motor (and a case grounding) and therefore it controls the 3 speeds by powering up 1, 2, or all 3 of these coils. The current wiring is this: yellow and red go to a 12uF capacitor, blue black and brown go to the control knob/pot, green goes to green of the plug, white goes to white of the plug wire. Also, a thicker black comes out of the 3-speed control knob and goes to the black of the plug wire.

My question is this... how to I ditch the "3-speed" knob and somehow work in a variable-speed pot? I'm guessing I'll have to pull the 3-speed out, hook up it's three connections the the black of the plug's wire and run the motor at "top speed" to start with, then put in the variable control somewhere farther down the line? Or perhaps keep the 3-speeds and still put a variable speed down the line so I have linear control of all 3 speed settings?

Also, what sort of thing should I use for the variable control? Would a simple dimmer switch/knob work? Or am I gunna have to shell out for something like a router speed controller?

I also am curious as to where to put the reverse switch... I have a general idea from some reading but am not 100% sure.

Any help would be great!
    Chris

This is the sort of dimmer I had in mind:
    600w rotary dimmer with push/pull on/off. Would this work with this motor? Or, if this motor is a bust for speed-control... will this dimmer work nicely with a sewing machine motor?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Comment

Please?... Someone on here's gotta have some sort of clue?
      Chris

Comment

You cannot use a potentiometer (rheostat would be a better term) on the three speed motor.
        (Or any motor)
        The dimmer will function as a speed control on a single speed AC motor.

Comment

So sadly this motor's pretty useless for a winder?
          Chris

Comment

You can use the 3 speed motor.
            Either pick one of the speed windings or wire it correctly to the 3 speed switch.
            Then use the dimmer.

Comment

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I thought when you said it'll only work on a single-speed motor that you meant it wouldn't work on this motor at all, not that it'll work fine once I pick ONE speed on the thing :P
              Thanks,
              Chris

Comment

Working...
              X