Decent little potting pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent little potting pot

Hey I got this today for potting from Wal-Mart. Heated water in it so far and it stopped right at 152 F on a candy thermometer after 15 minutes. Can go a little lower if needed. Has a thermostat that starts at warm with quite a bit of room before it gets to the 200 F setting - like the old electric skillets and comes with a basket. Also has magentic safety electical connection - so if it gets bumped or a kid pulls the cord it automatically disconnetcs pwr. from the unit. I reckon it will hold about 4 to 6 pups.

Walmart.com: Presto Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker Steamer: Appliances
    Last edited by K. Helms; 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM.

I've been using one of those for 6 or 7 years. Works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Helms View Post
      Hey I got this today for potting from Wal-Mart. Heated water in it so far and it stopped right at 152 F on a candy thermometer after 15 minutes. Can go a little lower if needed. Has a thermostat that starts at warm with quite a bit of room before it gets to the 200 F setting - like the old electric skillets and comes with a basket. Also has magentic safety electical connection - so if it gets bumped or a kid pulls the cord it automatically disconnetcs pwr. from the unit. I reckon it will hold about 4 to 6 pups.

Walmart.com: Presto Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker Steamer: Appliances
      It's what I use too. Best bang for the buck and works great!

Comment

Cool i will have too look into one of these
        My current pot is a $12 crock pot which works OK, but if i can find something that stays constant at 152 F
        i just might try that
        "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Yeah I set mine on warm and leave it on all day. The aluminum basket inside is perfect for keeping the pups suspended in the wax. A glass lid to see the progress and temperature control. All for $20. I do around 4 coils at a time. I could fit a few more but I can't clean them fast enough. I bet it could be rigged for vacuum potting too considering the cast construction. I don't have a need for vacuum potting but maybe someone else would find it interesting to look into.

Comment

An old girlfriend turned me onto this pot too, she called it the 'rice cooker'. Mine seems to hold temperature reasonably well, as long as you keep the lid closed when you don't actually have pickups in it. It does take awhile to heat up from room temp though.

My current pot is a $12 crock pot which works OK, but if i can find something that stays constant at 152 F i just might try that
            I had the same problem with my crockpot, the 3 position 'lo/med/hi' switch I had on mine didn't work well for me because I had to go back every so often and adjust it.
            ken
            www.angeltone.com

Comment

Yea I was looking at adapting it for vacum as well....can easily remove the lid handle for that - just would need to find a pretty good size o-ring or way to seal it to hold a vacum - a clean bead of silicone sealant around the lid allowed to cure upside down first might do the trick.

K

Comment

Be careful of pulling vacuum on items not intended to contain a vacuum - the item may abruptly collapse from air pressure. Fifteen pounds per square inch adds up pretty fast.

Comment

If I were going to pull a vacuum, I'd start with a ceramic crock pot.

A dimmer switch or a cheap router speed control will help you dial in a steady temperature.

Comment

Working...
                  X