Need Wiring Help with LP Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Wiring Help with LP Studio

I asked this in another forum too, here it is..

Need Wiring Help with LP Studio - My Les Paul Forums

This project has got me stumped. It seems like the circuit comes in the jack, through the switch, to the pots and then ends. I feel like something is missing from the tone pots because all they have is the capacitor and a ground wire.

Thanks a lot!

The diagram looks fine - is there a problem? The tone controls put a variable resistance in series with a cap across the pickup - very simple but effective. Pete.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Well I don't know then. I should mention it doesn't have a normal jack, it looks like this

Pedal Parts Plus: Switchcraft 1/4 in. Stereo Enclosed Jack

But yeah I don't know where my pickup signal is going. Does it go through the hot lead, through the Vol control, then to the switch and out?

Comment

Do you have access to an ohm meter?
        The jack that you purchased is a "stereo" jack.
        It has contacts for tip, ring & sleeve.
        Normally a mono jack is used.
        Tip & sleeve.
        It sounds to me like you connected your pickup output to the ring, which gets grounded when a normal guitar cable is inserted. (tip/ sleeve).
        When wired correctly, an ohm meter placed across the guitar cable will show a change when the volume pot is rotated. The change will reflect the pickup coils DC resistance when the vol pot is full on to a short when the vol pot is full off.
        Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 02-28-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Here's 2 diagrams one with the actives and a stereo Jack.
          The Other is a regular diagram with a mono Jack Tip and Sleeve Jack.
          You can compare the 2 and come up with wiring that will work in your situation.
          The gibson layout is just a variation of the bottom diagram.
          They hang the Cap a little different but electrically it is similar.
          You will use 2 wire instead of the 4 wire shown.
          Like Jazz said you should be able to check 6-8k resistance between the tip and sleeve of a guitar cord, with the volume Pot wide open.

Good Luck,
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Thanks a lot, this has been a great help. Do you think the wire from the back of the switch (the one by itself, in my case green) should go to the back of a pot, and then put a ground wire from another pot to the sleeve, or just go green to sleeve?

Comment

Originally posted by ajfreschi View Post
              Thanks a lot, this has been a great help. Do you think the wire from the back of the switch (the one by itself, in my case green) should go to the back of a pot, and then put a ground wire from another pot to the sleeve, or just go green to sleeve?
              Yes, Just like you said.
              Make sure you wire the Tip (output) to switch.
              Wire the sleve to the Ground loop on the pots.
              Wire the Switch ground to the Pot Ground.
              After wiring that way.
              You should be able to plug a cable into the jack, and mesure close to zero ohms from the sleeve of the cable to the back of the Pots(Ground).
              After you get it wired see if you can do the 6-10K test through the vol. pot. with the vol. turned up all the way (wide open).
              If you don't have a cheap multi meter you can get them many places.
              For a few bucks at Harbor Freight, Walmart, Radio Shack, etc.
              Good Luck,
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Ok thanks! I'll give this a try and hopefully I'll get some music coming through. I'll update on how it goes.

Comment

Progress! I finally got some sound to come out. Unfortunately, still a lot to do. Only the neck pup worked, and my volume and tone controls had no effect whatsoever. I put the switch ground to the back of the bridge tone, and the sleeve ground from the jack to the back of the neck tone. It should be noted that on the neck, the capacitor goes between the middle prongs of the vol and tone, but with the bridge it goes middle tone to left vol, I switched in frustration at some point. So I think I'll try to just redo it how it is in that SD diagram above, and hopefully have perfect results.

Comment

Originally posted by ajfreschi View Post
                    Progress! I finally got some sound to come out. Unfortunately, still a lot to do. Only the neck pup worked, and my volume and tone controls had no effect whatsoever. I put the switch ground to the back of the bridge tone, and the sleeve ground from the jack to the back of the neck tone. It should be noted that on the neck, the capacitor goes between the middle prongs of the vol and tone, but with the bridge it goes middle tone to left vol, I switched in frustration at some point. So I think I'll try to just redo it how it is in that SD diagram above, and hopefully have perfect results.
                    Be sure and tie all the grounds together on the pots.
                    Take your ohm meter and be sure all grounds read continuity back to the Sleeve of the jack. Sounds like you are on your way.
                    Good Luck,
                    Terry

Comment

How's it coming?
                      What was It?
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Well I decided to just go with one of those diagrams so its sort of a work in progress. Maybe I'll finish it up tonight...

EDIT: Its done! Everything works, and only 2 or 3 solder burns to my fingers. Thanks for the help and that superb diagram. It lives again!
                        Last edited by ajfreschi; 03-03-2011, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X